Recovering couch patato

Smarty pedal spindle stuck in RaceFace crank

Hi all,

So, of course the pedal died, all the parts fell off the spindle. It's the 6mm allen and no wrench flat spots variety, of course. You know that I broke several allen tools on it before I came here. Yes, tried to get some lucricant on the tread, no worky.

I am as low on tools as people get to me. Recently I realized I don't own a proper philips screwdriver. Or proper allens (anymore).

Anyway, do I dremel (LBS offered to lend) the splindle fat and give it a go with a flat wrench?
    Do I somehow drill it and stick some key through it?
    Do I drill it out on the allen side and saw it out?

The bolt on the end of the spindle is broken also. I could rebould the pedal, maybe, with a lot of help and persevance, but really I just want to slap on other pedals. I have them ready for it.

Thanks for your ideas!

J

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    if they are stainless spindles then they tend to gall pretty well. step one is make sure you are turning the correct way. try clamping the spindle in a vice and turning the crank. can also clamp the crank and use an allen socket on the pedal. use penetrating oil and heat

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs View Post
    if they are stainless spindles then they tend to gall pretty well. step one is make sure you are turning the correct way. try clamping the spindle in a vice and turning the crank. can also clamp the crank and use an allen socket on the pedal. use penetrating oil and heat
    Stainless indeed.
    Used some oil, liekly not the best kind, and enough of it.
    The spindle is really slick, not sure how well a vice would grip it. Perhaps try that better after a dremel flattening session?
    The allen entry is still intact, but 6mm allen seem to not exist strong enought o do what it takes. Not even the bit allen types. Tthey just twist and turn...
    Heat is an idea or sure. Something I could do with limited tools. Match and ice cubs. Perhaps drill ice cubes and stick on the spindle? :-)
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs View Post
    ^^+1

Just to confirm, the pedals tighten in different direction on each side.

The drive side tightens like a "normal" thread; "righty-tighty & lefty-loosey".

The non-drive side is the exact mirror of that. Meaning that it tightens over the top towards the front. Loosens over the top towards the back.

Having said that, with minimal tools your best friend is a pair of Vise Grips and penetrating oil.

Get those two things from you local hardware store and you should be able to get your pedals off making sure you are turning in the correct direction.

When installing your new pedals; make sure your grease the threads and don't over tighten them.

Let us know how you make out. Otherwise have your shop remove them before you damage your cranks.
    Last edited by bikerjohn64; 11-12-2012 at 04:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Pedros makes a burly 6mm allen key with a full grip on it. It helps getting off pedas with no wrench flats. Other option is impact wrench. Most good bike shops will be able to get even the worse stuck pedals off in a short amount of time for a small fee (10.00).

AZ
    banned
    If its just the spindle, clamp the crank in a vice and use a good pipe wrench to grip the spindle and loosen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    If its just the spindle, clamp the crank in a vice and use a good pipe wrench to grip the spindle and loosen.
    +1 on the pipe wrench.

Plays with tools
    Some people have posted some pretty good suggestions. A dremel is a waste of time. It will take you an hour to grind wrench flats in it. Find a bench grinder or an angle grinder and be done in two minutes. Worst case scenario, cut the spindle off and drill out the center. This alone will probably free up it up to the point you can remove it with the hex. If not you can section it out.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Use a Bench Grinder to grind two flat into the axle.

Clamp the spindle on those flats in a Vice

then use the Crank arm as a lever to undo the spindle

Rotate the arm slowly back and forth with small movements add penetrating spray. If you rotate it to far too quickly it may strip out the thread.

Use heat only if the Crank arm is just aluminium with no steel pedal inserts. As there will be very little difference in material expansion rates between that and the spindle, which is the main reason for using heat .

you could also put a 6mm hex wrench socket in the spindles end and give it a sharp blow with a hammer on the end to try and shock it loose.

mtbr member
    Since the OP hasn't replied back; he must still be working on it :-o

All of the suggestions mentioned above are great ones and I would think they would work. However, he did mention that he lacks tools so I doubt he can even remove the crank arm from the bike.
    I think his best bet would be to have his LBS take care of this issue.