mtbr member
    May 2004

Small Parts / Cable Cutters

Can anyone direct me to an online source for small parts such as replacement titanium bolts, ferrules, etc.?

Additionally, I purchased a cable cutter (wrench force) last week and used it for a shifter installation. It worked, sort of, I was surprised at how crappy the cuts were. I would have bought a Park tool but my LBS didn't have any. I am thinking of returning it and ordering a Park tool. Will the Park cable cutter work better?

mtbr member
    For small parts and tools go to Bike Tools, Etc.

I understand the Shimano cable/housing cutters are the best. I have a pair of Park's that I've been happy with. I just follow up the cut with a pick to open up the inner liner.

Mike

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTo
    Can anyone direct me to an online source for small parts such as replacement titanium bolts, ferrules, etc.?

Additionally, I purchased a cable cutter (wrench force) last week and used it for a shifter installation. It worked, sort of, I was surprised at how crappy the cuts were. I would have bought a Park tool but my LBS didn't have any. I am thinking of returning it and ordering a Park tool. Will the Park cable cutter work better?
    I have a beefy Park cable cutter that is supposed to cut housing, but it makes a crappy cut and squashes the housing. I prefer a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and a bench grinder to make the end nice and flat. The Park tool does fine for cutting the inner wire, but that's all.

Another place for small parts is AEBike.com. If either that or Bike Tools, etc. don't have the titanium bits you're looking for, search the Weight Weenies forum. Ti bolt suppliers get mentioned over there periodically.

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dartman
    For small parts and tools go to Bike Tools, Etc.

I understand the Shimano cable/housing cutters are the best. I have a pair of Park's that I've been happy with. I just follow up the cut with a pick to open up the inner liner.

Mike
    I have been using the Park cutters for years in my shop and have tried the Shimano's but the Parks always seem to do a much better job, and I do the same thing with the pick to open the ends after cutting.