mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Small Hex Wrench problems

Are you guys having success with a particular brand of 2.5 mm and 2.0 mm hex/allen wrenches. Over the past few years I tend to run across the problem of reaming out 2 and 2.5 mm bolt heads. From the get go I can feel a little bit of play with my wrench and it just a matter of time until the bolt head will become unusable. I realize I could use less torque, but I get slippage. Actually they still move even when cranking down on them. Specific examples would be my lock-on grips and 30 mm spindle lock ring on my Sram cranks.

beater

Small Hex Wrench problems

I've been happy with my Park Y-wrench.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

turtles make me hot
    I have a set of Cornwells and a set of Snap On. Both are great.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you for the suggestions. Not the sexiest of topics I know, but I cringe a little every time I get a new piece of gear with a small hex head. 3mm seems to be the cutoff for useful torque with my wrenches.

Plays with tools
    Gold series Bohndus hex keys. They are plus sized for a tighter fit and keep you from rounding out fasteners.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Small Hex Wrench problems

x2 on the Bohndus.

Bear in mind, though, that the maximum torque capabilities of smaller wrenches is significantly lower than, say a 4mm key.

See http://www.bondhus.com/tech-library/body-7.htm. You can easily provide the torque to strip out a small fastener with a 3mm key.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    bondhus

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Nice, I like plus-sized Bohndus design. There is play in my wrenches on new bolt heads. So much so that the ball ends are nearly useless at 2/2.5mm. I inherited them so they could be from Harbor Freight for all I know. Thanks again for the help.

turtles make me hot
    That's part of the problem. The ball end ones are sloppy. They're designed for tight clearance... Not initial tightening and loosening. You should always start and finish with a regular wrench.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Personally I use the Wera brand hex bits from Germany. I also do a lot with rc stuff and 1.5,2.0, and 2.5mm are the most common sizes for me. I have not managed to strip a hex out since using Wera. They are more money around $4 for a 1/4' drive 2mm bit

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs View Post
    bondhus
    x3. I wish I had gotten my set years ago.

I've heard they're the company that makes the Park set as well.

Magically Delicious
    Your experience rounding out small hex head bolts and screws isn't entirely uncommon. An old aircraft and car mechanics trick for these and worn out Phillips screws is to use Clover Lapping Compound. It's original use was a polishing/grinding compound for lapping engine valves. Just dip your tool (not that tool) in the compound and loosen or tighten as usual. It is predominately used to remove stubborn, worn screws that are about to strip out, but can be used to tighten. The abrasive lapping compound bites into the screw or hex head to provide a better purchase and get the job done before total failure.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wiha

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I picked up a set of Bohndus hex keys. They are much better than my old set. I went through my bike and tightened up the 2.0 and 2.5mm fasteners. The larger keys have a better fit as well. Thanks again for the help. These are sweet!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Free Bondhus Set of 6 Mini GoldGuard Ball End Hex Keys 1.5 - 5mm
    The code is
    freetools4registering

Register at the bottom left of page.
    Enter the code on the last page of the order.
    Shipping is free.

Bondhus hex end L wrenches in 2.5 are available at 100 store locations for $0.43 each at MSC Industrial Supply.
    Hex Keys | MSCDirect.com
    They have a 2mm in ball end for $1.21.

Papa T
    Thanks! Free set on the way, much rep to you!
    Keep your head tube up!
    2012 Marin Mt. Vision XM Pro
    2009 Jamis Dragon ONE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Numb Bum View Post
    Thanks! Free set on the way, much rep to you!
    +1 Thanks eb1888

mtbr member
    ^^^^Thanks! I just order myself a back up set.... For FREE! I use these though.

Wera 950 SPKL/9 SM N Hex Key Set with Two-Component Storage Clip, 9-Pieces:Amazon:Industrial & Scientific
    Yea that's right, it's a bucket o' shrimp!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I love my Wera's (their screwdrivers too) but the ones in your link with the padded handles are crazy expensive. I'm pretty sure this set has the exact same fastener engagement, but without the rounded handle and rubber grip, for less than 1/2 the price. To be honest, I'm not even 100% sure I'd want a rubber grip on a hex key even if it was a free 'upgrade'.

Wera 950 PKL/9 Hex + Ball End Hex Metric L-key Clip Set

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I personally use a set from Stahlwille. I have had them so long I do not even know what they cost.
    Stahlwille catalogue
    I also have a set of Crafstman T-handle hex wrenches.
    Flotilla or Buffet.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    THANKS.. free tools are AWESOME.. but I use my T handle ones the most.. they are actually just home cheap ones but never had an issue with them.. always tight fitting, never strip.. easy on the hands..

but these will get used, for sure!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

~ B A D A S S ~
    I have bondhus single ball wrenches (L shaped) and those i've had for about 15 years, still as new.

My new favorite is this one Felo Ergonic bit holder, its a 2 speed screwdrive rwith built in dual torque feeling capabilities. (its a regular screwdriver)
    The rubber is very special and its very easy to feel how much (subjetively) you are cranking down on thin/weak stuff since you feel the rubber moves more or less.

Small Hex Wrench problems-438_125_40.gif

its totally bad ass! I never use torque wrenches for anything and its not really needed imo.

Regular hex wrenches are 3 speed/nm too i think, you can use them in maximul torque mode by using the entire length, medium half way in or so, and low torque mode by flipping them and using the long side in the bolt with your fingers on the short side.

but small and weak **** i run exclusively with the felo. and quality bits.

Felo Series 400 Ergonic BIT HOLDERS
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Balto78 View Post
    I love my Wera's (their screwdrivers too) but the ones in your link with the padded handles are crazy expensive. I'm pretty sure this set has the exact same fastener engagement, but without the rounded handle and rubber grip, for less than 1/2 the price. To be honest, I'm not even 100% sure I'd want a rubber grip on a hex key even if it was a free 'upgrade'.

Wera 950 PKL/9 Hex + Ball End Hex Metric L-key Clip Set
    I have weras at work but imo they are not as durable as bondhus.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Yeah btw a trick I use ofter with rounded out hex bolts is to bang in a slightly bigger torx bit and there you go, now you can remove it.

Also bolts with snapped heads can be drilled and then bang in a torx bit in the hole. and now you can remove that too.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If the head snaps off, you very rarely need more than a left handed drill bit, as the head is what provides tension on the shaft of the bolt.