Thread: Shop humor

mtbr member

Shop humor

So this customer brings in his Specialized Road bike to my shop to be torn down and packed for shipping across the country. I never saw the guy so could not give him this advise in person. Left a small note on the top tube protector that hopefully the mechanic on the other end of this transaction will get a kick out of. This guy used more lube than any drivetrain I have ever seen. It was like Phil waterproof grease used as lube. All over EVERYTHING!
    Hopefully, other techs here will post some stories of their own.

Yo.

Shop humor

Customer dropped his bike off for a basic tune at the end of the season and left it at the shop all winter; kept "forgetting" to pick it up even after several phone calls. Spring finally comes around and he swings by to pick up his bike; I wonder if he ever noticed the lead tape that was installed under his rim strips...
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have a few of those customers who use an insane amount of lube. Sometimes it's like they use thick automotive grease on the drivetrain. The last time one guy brought his bike in for a tune, I cleaned up his drive train, lubed it properly, and a couple of days later he comes in and his chain is drenched in black sludge again.

One thing I get at least once a week is I'll be standing in front of a bike hanging in a bike stand, I'll have tools in hand, and a customer will look me in the eye and say "Hey, do y'all work on bikes here?". They are completely serious, too.

Hopefully this thread will keep going. We get some pretty ridiculous people in this shop sometimes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by owensjs View Post
    One thing I get at least once a week is I'll be standing in front of a bike hanging in a bike stand, I'll have tools in hand, and a customer will look me in the eye and say "Hey, do y'all work on bikes here?". They are completely serious, too.
    Yeah, we used to get that one all the time back when I worked in a shop. One time when the boss wasn't around, my co-worker replied with "no, I'm sorry, we just fix bikes here" in a totally serious voice, then we all tried not to laugh our asses off as the customer struggled to make sense of what he'd just been told.

We also got a lot of flat tire repairs at the shop. We'd sometimes tell the customers that our boss goes out on the roads every morning and smashes glass bottles on the ground so that we can stay in business.