Thread: Shifter Issue

mtbr member

Shifter Issue

Hey all,

Recently built up a bike frame up, and I am using a Zee shifter for the rear. I was recently transporting the bike to California on the back of my car, and when I took the bike off the shifter was missing the bottom plastic cover piece (see the picture below). Is there anyway to replace this part or maybe a quick fix? Anything to be of a major concern with this? It's pretty much brand new so I'd hate to have to buy a whole new shifter...

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Shifter Issue-imag0387.jpg

mtbr member
    Only found that part from mailorder in Europe, perhaps your LBS can get it direct from Shimano. You can find part # here:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830800252.pdf

I wouldn't recommend subjecting the inside of your shifter to the elements.

mtbr member
    Thanks mate. Yah it doesnt appear it can be ordered very conveniently... Any ideas for a temporary cover?

I will try taking in to a bike shop, though I'm assuming *if* they can fix it, it would take a bit to get the part, and I really wanna get a few rides in over the holidays...

mtbr member
    Might have to get creative on that. Maybe you can find a used shifter online, then you always have an extra, minus the cover.

mtbr member

Shifter Issue

That plate on my old SRX-RC shifter came off about 10 years ago. I haven't had any problems with the shifter since.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallejo View Post
    Thanks mate. Yah it doesnt appear it can be ordered very conveniently... Any ideas for a temporary cover?

I will try taking in to a bike shop, though I'm assuming *if* they can fix it, it would take a bit to get the part, and I really wanna get a few rides in over the holidays...
    have you fixed it?

thinking like others said you can find a used one at a local shop or online that you can just pull the cover off of...? probably cheaper and easier than trying to get a new cover as they always seem to charge ridiculous prices for small parts that need to be special ordered...??
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I havent fixed it yet. A lot of shops were closed over Xmas and I have been a bit busy. Taken it on 2 rides without problems, but I do agree I should try and find a cover for it in the near future before it gets a ton of dirt and grime.

I'll probably head into a bike shop today and see what I can get.

Thanks all.

Plays with tools
    You could always try to cover it with a plastic bag. I really don't think it's a good idea to leave it open. However if you're willing to clean and lube it after every ride it'll last for quite some time.