mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Sharing a first time experience with aluminum oxide

Just wanted to share....

I have an old bike that I haven't ridden in many years (my son is getting his first MTB and I want to ride with him).

So I brought it to the LBS for a tune up after I doused the thing with CLP and rode it home.

But, I noticed the seat was too low.

So I tried to raise it. But the post wouldn't budge. I figured: No big deal, I'll squirt some CLP Break Free and get a wrench and all will be fine.

many hours later, my suspension post chewed up nicely, I was no where closer to loosening it.

So I turned to the web and found great articles about the many ways to attack this problem. I had intuitively done many of them already, but there was plenty of info I did not know.

Most importantly, that the posts are typically aluminum and when aluminum oxidizes inside an iron tube, it creates a super tight bond.

So I got a jug of ammonia and a quirt bottle, turned the bike upside down and took out the 2 screws that would hold a water bottle holder and filled the tube with ammonia.

Did that many times over the course of hours and sure enough, got the thing out.

I ruined it in the process (it had play in a twisting direction from the torque of the wrenching), but I quickly replaced it at the LBS.

I feel all happy about this now.

BTW, I know just about zero about fixing bikes.

Thanks for letting me share (maybe this post will help the next guy who is in this situation).

Joseph

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    just broke free a aluminum post and steel frame the other day. soaked the frame upside down for 24 hrs with kroil. frame clamped upside down and 2 guys. one with a pipe wrench and another with a chain wrench on the saddle clamp head. 1 2 3 heave ho and go. tink the post broke free. took a mallet and banged the rest of the post out

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Cool.

I resisted putting all my force to rotate is because it was a suspension post and I had a feeling it would break the post because breaking free of the frame.

I've got to check out kroil. Is it good for aluminum oxide?

The ammonia really worked.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Kroil is hands down one of the best penetrating fluids there is. It will actively eat corrosion. I have never encountered something that I couldn't free from corrosion with it. Aluminum, however can be freed with out much sweat by using ammonia, so you did the right thing. Cheaper than a can of Kroil, anyhow (but you should still buy one).

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Did a quick Google and I see that Kroil complements Breakfree, so I went ahead and ordered a gallon of the stuff.

Now I need more projects....

Thanks for the tip.