likes to ride bikes

Selle Italia Flite XC Gel Flow rail size?

Hi there, just bought a Selle Italia Flite XC Gel Flow saddle and I need to know what its rail size is. It looks like I'm going to need to buy a different-sized Cyclops seatpost clamp for my USE Alien carbon seatpost.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    With the exception of the Single Rail system seat rails are set to a standard diameter and width.
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

ups and downs
    Virtually all XC saddles are the same 7mm rail diameter, some of the DH/FR saddles use 8mm or even 9mm rails. Some Selle Italia saddles are using the oval rails that can't be clamped from the sides, but they are compatible with standard top/bottom clamps as you've shown.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

likes to ride bikes

The Flite XC Gel Flow is spec'ed for XC and Downhill, so maybe it's 9mm. It's definitely ovalized, thicker vertically than standard rails. The USE Cyclops clamp comes in several sizes because its mechanism only works with one rail size.

It's a PITA to keep this seatpost, but it's a weight weenie's dream. I just contacted USE.
    Last edited by TunicaTrails; 08-01-2010 at 09:26 AM.

likes to ride bikes
    FYI, I didn't get an answer as to my particular saddle, but I was pointed to the USA distributor for USE who sells all their clamp sizes here:

http://estore.websitepros.com/193951...Categories.bok

mtbr member
    I've always wanted to try one of those saddles...

likes to ride bikes
    Did a 5-hour, 50 mile preride on it last weekend and I am very pleased with the Flite XC Gel Flow saddle. The same trail destroyed my back racing with a 135g SLR a couple of months ago. Not only does it have a taint hole, but the entire center section flexes. Plus it's totally hot-looking. I'd always wanted a Flite since I was a poor college student and now that I can afford one, I think they're even better than they used to be.

A couple of tips about the USE Alien seatpost for posterity: yes the Flite XC Gel Flow has 9.2 mm rails.

Secondly, the Alien seatpost is hard to get tight enough (to not slant back on you) after a big hit on the trail. The best technique for tightening the post I've discovered is this:

Tighten the Cyclops bolt until you feel like you might strip the threads if you go tighter. Then, smack the rear end of the saddle as hard as you can with an open palm a couple of times. Tighten one more turn. Smack again, and so on, for at least five turns, until you're again torquing nearly hard enough to strip the threads.

There's a very back-breaking trail locally that had me frustrated with this post until I figured out this technique.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Mc.
    I've always wanted to try one of those saddles...