Thread: Seized Seatpost

mtbr member

Seized Seatpost

Hello all,

I'm taking down my old Marin and putting it in a box to send out to its new owner and have found the seatpost (carbon fibre) is totally seized in the frame (steel). I've used the bike for commuting for years and so haven't had cause to move the saddle up or down.

Anyway, I've dribbled WD40 down the post but to no avail and I'm worried if I try to twist the saddle any more than I'm already doing I'm going to break something. Any ideas please?

Much appreciate any replies.
    Using yesterday's technology, to create tomorrow's problems, today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    WD-40 will do nothing. Carbon getting stuck is no fun in any case, but you can try using Kroil funneled into the seat-tube via a bottle braze on, and left to soak for a few hours. Wrap up the clamp area with cling wrap, to keep it from leaking out there.

You may very well need to cut the post to get it out.

mtbr member
    I have had problems with aluminum and steel posts getting seized in frames at work. There are a few tricks.
    1. Remove BB, flip frame over, pour kroil, liquid wrench or similar down the seat tube from the inside.
    2. Same as number 1 but use a can of Coke instead of penetrating fluid. I haven't tried it yet but I heard it from an old-schooler.
    3. If the post is damaged from twisting, cut the post off about 3 inches above the collar, clamp a hacksaw blade in a vice-grip and cut the post from the inside out in a couple spots to weaken it and you can remove the post by trying to break it or pull it out.

wschruba had a good idea funneling it into a braze-on but I prefer to pull the bb and pour it in that method.
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

Plays with tools
    Ream it out is always an option. I honestly don't waste to much time before I result to this. A lot of things CAN work. But reaming will work without fail and you don't waste hours or even days trying every other trick in the book. It will however destroy your seat post

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input chaps.

I've poured Coke through a bottle cage hole so let's see what happens. Good old Coke; it has far more benefits as a DIY tool than it does as a beverage!

I'll let you know if successful.

mtbr member
    The Coke did the trick, thanks. I had to work the post up and down a bit with a leather mallet but it's out and undamaged.

Appreciate the help.

mtbr member
    HUZZAH! I always thought it would work and I'm glad it did! Now just think of what it does to your body…..
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by davesauvageau View Post
    HUZZAH! I always thought it would work and I'm glad it did! Now just think of what it does to your body…..
    Besides your teeth, nothing. The phosphoric acid in coke is much, much weaker than the hydrochloric acid in your stomach. Stomach acid is very, very powerful stuff.

Sounds like surface rust started to bind the frame to the post. Coke works to break down the rust, and so does oxalic acid (deck cleaner or bar keeper's friend.)