mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sapim spoke tension meter

Does any one have this tool and would said owner be kind enough to send me a copy of the 2.6mm/12G Leader spoke tension chart? I'm not sure a Park chart will work as I'm using a DT gauge. The DT uses a dail gauge (like the Sapim) and the Park does not. For what its worth I'm building some wheels (lots and lots) for a local pedicab/rickshaw company.

thanks in advance
    Tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Why not just use a Park tools chart, or the Park tool if you have one? The tensions will be close enough, that its not going to matter as long as the relative tension are about the same.
    Last edited by nov0798; 10-21-2012 at 12:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Park tool has a differant gage read out then the DT and Sapim. The DT & Sapim use a dial indicator to measure difflection . The Park uses a pointer and markings on the tool. Not really sure you can convert the two.

Tim

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

mtbr member
    I like spoke tension meters and use them to obtain optimum strength from lightweight wheels, but heavy steel rims and tree trunk spokes? I honestly don't think it's worth the bother. Just get them tight and true and you're good to go IMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My point was if they both use kgf as the value, then as long as all the values are within the range you need it wont matter, especially building the wheels you described as JB Weld said.

Looking at the manual, it appears to measure in nm, so 10nm = 1kgf. so if you want 20kgf or whatever the rims call for, then 200nm will be the same.

Plays with tools
    If you email Sapim they can send you a PDF of the values for different models of tensiometers. They are a bit different from DT spokes. But I agree with the others. Just use your tensiometer to make sure their all similar and don't worry about exact tension.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    If you email Sapim they can send you a PDF of the values for different models of tensiometers. They are a bit different from DT spokes. But I agree with the others. Just use your tensiometer to make sure their all similar and don't worry about exact tension.
    Lousy method for Mavic which like to pull the eyelets if you are to tight. What feels good and is good is often +- 20KGF off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ok DT does not make 2.6mm spokes and they do not have a chart for 2.6

I tried contacting Sapim. E-mailed 3 times. No response.

The cabs use aluminum rims. The rims currantly in use are from Star. A Chinese knock off of the Rhyno Lite. We will be going to another rim (probably a Pshyco)\ A Sun/Ringle Rhyno Lite (real one) has eyelets and they do not fit a 2.6mm spoke nipple.

If you know of a steel rim 26" x 48 spokes readally avalable let me know. Besides who said anything about using steel rims........If I could I would. Worksman has a steel rim BUT its drilled for this huge nipple and the 2.6 ones fall through the hole and no we can't use their wheels as the rears have a 7/8" hub ID and we use 1" (Main Street) and 25mm (China Bike) ID axles.

Cabs can carry very heavy loads. Up to 800lbs. 2 fat tourist and a rider, the cabs weigh 100 lbs. Pot holes suck. I've had wheel failures with a flat spot on one side and 180 degrees opposite a spoke or two pulled clean through the rim. I've had hubs spilt. I want to build a bunch of wheels at differant tensions and see what lasts the longest. Anything I can do to make these last longer will help.

So I bought a Park tension meter and will build a wheel and convert the chart.

Tim

Waiting for peace
    I would recommend a rim with eyelets like the Rhyno Lite you mentioned... tent to hold tension more evenly in my experience....

Either way post up again with any news!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I was having an issue with some rims with the holes cracking around the nipples. I started using the Sapim HM washers Washers | Sapim under each nipple, and havent had an issue since.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    SpecialWarr: Nobody makes an eyeleted rim that fits 2.6mm spokes the biggest I've found so far is a Rhyno Litye it will fit a 2.3mm nipple.

Nov0798: I'll have to give those a try.

On a side note any one know of a steel rim or a rim that is stronger then 120 Kgf (Psycho) let me know. ( the Rhyno Lite is rated at 100 Kgf which I can't use any how because of nipple issues)
    Tim