mtbr member
    Mar 2008

S-RAM X7 gear changer 'sticking'

Hi all,
    I have some X7 gear changers on my bike.
    The bottom gear changer to change up a gear keeps 'sticking' when I push it and not coming back.

I doused the whole thing in WD40 last night and made no difference and also tried turning the alin key bolt at the bottom (which just seems to keep turning without doing anything).

Problems still there and I'm not sure what to do about it or how to fix it.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

It's SRAM, all one acronym. No hyphens. Pronounced "shram".

That kind of thing happens from time to time, especially when the shifters get old and the lube inside gets gummy. Easiest solution is to replace them. You can clean them out, but WD40 is not the appropriate solution for it. You're going to need a more robust degreaser for the job. Clean Streak works well for me. It evaporates with no residue.

You'll then have to relube them. The last time it happened to me (last winter) on a 10yr old set of Shimano LX shifters, I hosed them out with Clean Streak, and then lubed with Phil Wood's Tenacious Oil. It's a more viscous lube that took some work to work it into the gears inside the shifters. We'll see how it does this coming winter. Most mechanics recommended using Triflow for lubricant, since it's thinner and easier to get into the shifters. I wanted something that would stick to the parts inside and be a little more robust, but Triflow would probably work great, also.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the feedback.
    In order to lube them and clean them - do I have to open them up or is it just externally between the moving parts that I am cleaning?

The bike is now 5yrs old - unfortunately, for years of that someone else was riding it not me so I haven't got much use out of them

Yes, you will need to open them up. Both to get the fluids in and to let the old crud out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the help with this.

Is this hard? Is it something that is a 'hack job' to do or is it something you are meant to do regularly for them anyway?

As a totally rough ball park figure - how long do you think it would take me (as someone who has never done this before but is 'ok' as a handyman) to do?

There are plastic covers you can remove to do this without actually removing the internals. I am not very familiar with SRAM triggers but there should be a couple of small screws you can remove to pop a cover off and get the spray inside.

If you are uncomfortable with this, you could have a shop do it. Some shops won't want to and will try to get you to buy a new one. It may take an offer of beer and/orbaked goods to sweeten the deal for them