Gimme free stuff

rotor rubbing on standoff

Question for you guys: I was setting up my brakes for the first time today. I have bb7s on a Misfit dissent with the Misfit rigid fork. Im going through the setup instructions on park tool website (google will find it). I tighten the pads on the rotor to set the caliper location. when i back the pads off the rotor rubs on the caliper mounting bracket (20mm offset thingy). Anyone else have this problem? The rears set up just fine...

It rubs enough to limit the free-spin of the wheel. The frame was painted aftermarket so It could have ~.5mm being taken up by paint. Not sure if that should matter that much though

180mm rotor, XT hubs
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    P.S. The true SSer's motto: "Do it anyway."
    Misfit DiSSent 29er
    Dawes Deadeye [FOR SALE]

mtbr member
    Either use emery cloth to take the paint off the IS mounts or to go one step more pro take it into a shop and have the mount faced by the shop. That should do two things first it will make the rub stop and second it will make the set up of the break a dream. I would personally take it in to be faced to make sure it is perfect.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    1st three things that come to mid without actually being able to look at it.
    • Wheel not set correctly,
    • tab on fork wrong
    • rotor cupped

can't tell you how many times I get people asking my about their brake issues and all it is is the wheel getting cockeye in the fork when they tighten the quick release. when you tighten the wheel, lean over the handle bars and weight the wheel.. making sure you are press straight. when you tighten the QR lever there is a bit of toque twist that will lift the axle out of the base of the drop out. loosen the caliper before hand as it will interfere if it's misaligned.

tab wrong on the fork.. or is it studs? either way it's very possible they were welded on incorrectly.. contact manufacturer.. getting them face as was stated above will probably fix if not too far out.

Cupped rotors happen a lot with mechanical disc brakes. there is only one piston moving and they flex the rotor over the meet the other. over time they can often get memory and stay that way. also people "straightening" them can actually make it worse as they often time use too short a tool and end up twisting the face and arm to get a flat looking face.. but they've actually just twisted the arm of the rotor.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tims5377 View Post
    Im going through the setup instructions on park tool website (google will find it).
    BB7 Installation and Setup Guide: http://cdn.sram.com/sites/default/fi...d7_English.pdf