Uncut
    Apr 2013

New question here. The right tight for my linkage pivots. Blur LT2

I have a Blur LT2 and recently took apart all the linkages (minus bearing removal) so that I could get a bunch of grime out. All the parts/bearings are good.

Now re-installing and am wondering how tight my pivots should be? When I leave them loose enough for the rear triangle to fall free w/ gravity, the linkages have play. When I tighten them up, the rear triangle still moves nicely, but not free fall. It will actually move easily when I move it, but it tends to want to hold the position I leave it in. Also, when using the grease ports post factory setup, grease would bulge out and I would know the pivots were full. When the lower linkage is tightened to no play, when I grease the port the gun soon locks up, grease is pressurizing inside the pivot body because it cannot escape (which is also tightening up the motion of the pivot). I figured Id adjust the axle torque such that grease could bulge out, but that left the linkage loose.

So what Im trying to find out is if, when fully installed, the rear triangle ought to be moving as free as the bearings spin, or should it have (or is it ok to have) a little bit of resistance on it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Do the bolts have the torque value etched on them like some of the Treks?

Uncut
    Apr 2013
    Not that Ive noticed

mtbr member
    I don't know what year you have, but I found this bearing overhaul guide for a 2008 Blur.

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/tec...lt_bearing.pdf

A quick scan through it indicates that most of the pivot bolts should be snug, but not tight.

Uncut
    Apr 2013
    Someone put me onto the maintenance page on Santa Cruz's website, which I missed the first time around. So I found the info I needed there. They have all the torque specs for current models and lists of parts (frame related). Thanks for the info though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sashimi View Post
    Someone put me onto the maintenance page on Santa Cruz's website, which I missed the first time around. So I found the info I needed there. They have all the torque specs for current models and lists of parts (frame related). Thanks for the info though

Beware of SC's recommended torque spec's! I have snapped more than one of the outer linkage bolts when torquing to spec. in an email exchange they recommended to go with 85 in/lb rather than the spec'd 100 in/lb.