mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Ride it or toss it

So the bearings in my Surly New hub were shot, and the bike threw me over when the front wheel locked up. Got new bearings, hoping that it would be an easy change, and it was for one side, while the other side was much much more stubborn. It was so stubborn that trying to pull it out, the inner ring broke off, leaving the outer ring stuck, with much less to pull on.

After trying a few chemical solutions, frustrated, I decided to go medieval on it and took out the dremel. When that didn't help, I froze it with some upside down compressed air can and pried it out with a screw driver. This damaged the hub a little bit and the dremel I found out cut into the race slightly. Here's what it looks like. Do I ride it or toss it?

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride it or toss it-img_0699.jpg  

Plays with tools
    Is this a cartridge bearing hub I assume? If it is I'd put a new bearing in it and ride it. It won't be ideal but it'll do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yes cartridge. I already pushed some cartridges in, and it seems to work. I am only slightly worried about the hub breaking in half... Anyway, I guess I'll ride it and see. Also, similarly stuck rear hub bearing is now bothering me. I will try to be more clever this time and not cut into the hub. What do they use to install these bearings? Super glue?

I also realized that this wasn't the right forum... The forums are getting incredibly specific these days... I guess I should have found the "stuck Surly hub bearing" forum...

Thanks,

Toros

mtbr member
    A little late, but a little heat and penetrant could have loosened it up a bit better. For the reinstall there is a product by Loctite that is made for holding in cartridge bearings that no longer hold in the fitments as well as they should. We use it often at the shop for stationary bike bottom bracket cartridges(large 1-pc cranks). I forget what the part number is called but it is referred to as bearing retaining compound.

The hub itself is not in eminent danger of cracking, but do make sure to keep the cartridges greased properly(that includes don't always trust the grease that came with them).
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by torosc View Post
    Yes cartridge. I already pushed some cartridges in, and it seems to work. I am only slightly worried about the hub breaking in half... Anyway, I guess I'll ride it and see. Also, similarly stuck rear hub bearing is now bothering me. I will try to be more clever this time and not cut into the hub. What do they use to install these bearings? Super glue?

I also realized that this wasn't the right forum... The forums are getting incredibly specific these days... I guess I should have found the "stuck Surly hub bearing" forum...

Thanks,

Toros
    I would imagine that the hub was slightly off spec and that's what caused it to fit so tight. .001" can make a big difference when your talking press fits.

Don't hesitate to post questions like this in 'tooltime' most of the time you'll get better and more complete answers here than in some of the general purpose boards.

Quote Originally Posted by supersedona View Post
    A little late, but a little heat and penetrant could have loosened it up a bit better. For the reinstall there is a product by Loctite that is made for holding in cartridge bearings that no longer hold in the fitments as well as they should.
    Loctite 680 is what I keep around, it's rated to fill up to a .015" gap irrc. Other thing to remember about bearing retaining compounds is that they are commonly heat sensetive. So a little bit of heat can get the bearing to fall right out. Helps if you know that it was installed with that though, which is often hard to find out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011