mtbr member

Replace pump or go to CO2?

I've only had my Topeak DH II for about a year and it has failed. The valve depressor inside has been pushed way back inside and I can't get it removed. Now the thing won't work on Presta or Schrader. Yes, I have torn up the depressor while trying to remove it.

Is there a better pump out there that I should look at or should I consider going to CO2?
    What are the drawbacks to CO2? I usually ride in a jersey and MTB shorts with pockets, so i could carry a spare cartridge?

FYI I'm running tubes if that makes a difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I am not sure of drawbacks to CO2 but I have only every had CO2 and it is amazing and so quick. I laugh at my friend who sits their for 5 minutes pumping his tire up; i usually end up letting him use my CO2 so we can start riding again.

That being said I have been running tubeless for years now and rarely and I mean very rarely do I ever have to use my CO2.

Best of luck

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: Replace pump or go to CO2?

On my 4 hour ride today, the stans in my back tire had dried up. I had to pump it up about every 1/2 hour. If I only had co2, I would have needed 8 cartridges or a long walk back.

Sent from my S3 on the way to the trailhead.

mtbr member
    Pinch flatted today on my ride and borrowed a fellow rider's CO2. I think I'll stop by the LBS and pick up CO2 tomorrow.
    I was also able to get my pump to work with Presta finally, so at least it's not completely dead.

Thanks guys!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    don't use CO2 on tubeless/sealant setups. It'll cause the famous stan's "ameba" the freezing effect of the CO2 will harden the liquid sealant instantly and it'll roll around collecting more sealant till you have a big goofy ball.

I found CO2 a pain. though it's smaller, if you end up with more than one puncture you'll need multiple canisters.

It is WAY faster,...

I like the CO2 if there are 2 people riding, one carries a pump, one the CO2.. use the CO2, if something happens after you still have the pump

if single riding, get a pump.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads-up on the sealant thing. I've been toying with going tubeless. Guess I need to stop by the lbs tonight and investigate further.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    CO2 cartridges are also relatively expensive, especially if you tend to flat often. I have a pump that I carry with me while riding, but I carry CO2 while racing because it is more compact and much faster.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    My vote is for a pump. I went through a period where I was flatting several times a season, it got to be a drag going out to get new cartridges all the time. Then I would always carry a pump with me anyway, just in case I had more flats than I had cartridges. Eventually I just stopped going out to buy new cartridges.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    My vote is for a pump. I went through a period where I was flatting several times a season, it got to be a drag going out to get new cartridges all the time. Then I would always carry a pump with me anyway, just in case I had more flats than I had cartridges. Eventually I just stopped going out to buy new cartridges.
    pretty much the same thing for me...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I think I'm leaning toward replacing my pump. My rims are drilled for Schrader valves, but I've been using presta for a while. The only problem I have is getting sealant into presta tubes. I'd like to run sealant for thorns.

I'm thinking of switching to tubeless, getting a new pump and calling it good. I can carry a spare tube just in case....

Any recommendations on a better pump?
    Not sure if I want the flexible hose type or not...

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I've had dozens of different fancy brand name ones. Believe it or not the best working longest lasting one I've used is pricepoint's sette brand cheapie. Thing is reasonably light and pushes better/more air than most. Little large but not unruly big and comes with the frame mount.
    Head lock and fits really well, the "t" handle is awesome... and it's under 10 bucks.

Name:  245_seta23_3.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  5.1 KB
    Last edited by thomllama; 08-27-2013 at 05:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    I've had dozens of different fancy brand name ones. Believe it or not the best working longest lasting one I've used is pricepoint's sette brand cheapie. Thing is reasonably light and pushes better/more air than most. Little large but not unruly big and comes with the frame mount.
    Head lock and fits really well, the "t" handle is awesome... and it's under 10 bucks.

Name:  245_seta23_3.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  5.1 KB
    I have a pump that looks similar to that, but it's a different brand. The t-handle is great! The chuck works good on both schrader and presta, but it can be a bit finicky for the latter. I have no problem with it, but when I lend it to others on the trail they sometimes struggle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've been really happy with the Topeak Mountain Morph, which I've had for several years with no issues. It has a T-handle, a hose, a gauge that's fairly accurate (though I'm not sure if they have that on the recent models), and a foot stand. It also fits in my camelbak.

mtbr member
    The topeak that I have has the t-handle. I do like the handle, but have struggled with the head working on schraders for a while.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post

I like the CO2 if there are 2 people riding, one carries a pump, one the CO2.. use the CO2, if something happens after you still have the pump
    This...

And another thought...I go hybrid. A mini-pump and an inflator in my pockets when I'm riding solo. I'll use the pump to get the tire part-way up to pressure (the strokes are easy and fast when there's little pressure in the tire). And when the tire is part-way filled and the mini-pumping starts to get old, I'll finish up with a 12g bottle of gas in the inflator. I can use the 12g cheapo paintball cartridges this way (50 cents each, more or less) and don't need to use two to fill an MTB tire.

And another thought, about CO2 and sealants in tubeless setups. It's pretty much a non-issue for me, since when I flat on a ride (which is almost never after switching to the tubeless/sealant), I'll use a tube to get home and then switch back over to tubeless at home. I've never had the need to top off a tire during a ride...and I supposed that if I did ever have to do that, it would be because the sealant was already drying out, so I would be dismounting and cleaning up the old sealant when I got home anyway. So I'd just gas it for a top-off and not worry about a massive booger ball rolling around in the tire.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member
    Well, I ended up buying a new (different model) topeak at my lbs. He also gave me a killer deal on the Stan's conversion kit. Went home and converted both front and rear to tubeless. I've only ridden about 35 miles since, but I'm really liking it so far.

Hi.
    My Lezyne Air Drive is CO2 cartridge-compatible.