mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Repair Bike Stand Rack

Any suggestions on a good reputable BIKE repair mechanic STAND for home use?

Not really needing an industrial caliber stand; just something ideal for garage use and to take on the road when necessary.

Thanks for your suggestions!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I absolutely love my Feedback Pro. Great security, love the clamp for clamping on carbon and stores small enough to fit in the front seat of a sports car.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    I absolutely love my Feedback Pro. Great security, love the clamp for clamping on carbon and stores small enough to fit in the front seat of a sports car.

Which specific model? Im noticing theyre pretty pricey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by FLHANDSTER View Post
    Which specific model? Im noticing theyre pretty pricey.
    The Pro Elite. They are but they are bulletproof. The only reason I suggested it was the take on the road qualifier. I'm not aware of anything more portable. There probably is though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    You can do 90% of basic maintenance using a cheap scorpion stand they're pretty darn stable and super cheap until you want to go for a full size stand. For full size I recommend park tool product, not as portable but it will last a lifetime.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Feedback-Sp...n-Floor-Stand/

http://www.jensonusa.com/Park-Tool-P...-Repair-Stand/

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by wytemike21 View Post
    You can do 90% of basic maintenance using a cheap scorpion stand they're pretty darn stable and super cheap until you want to go for a full size stand. For full size I recommend park tool product, not as portable but it will last a lifetime.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Feedback-Sp...n-Floor-Stand/

http://www.jensonusa.com/Park-Tool-P...-Repair-Stand/

The only thing I don't like about park is the clamp. The dial style clamps I actually feel safe with carbon due to the increased sensitivity.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I have to clamp on my frame so I always have a cloth between frame and clamp

mtbr member
    If you want to transport it don't buy a Park. They are made of cast iron, or at least it feels like it, and are stupid heavy. If you want light I'd either buy a Feedback of a cheapo stand. Don't be fooled by the plastic, the cheap ones work perfectly well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    +1 for Feedback pro elite. Great stand.
    2016 Fuse Pro 29/6Fattie
    2017 Stumpjumper Comp 29/6Fattie

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

It's still not the same. Not having the lever style clamp is so nice. You still press it in snug but there's no real mechanical increase, yes it's a screw but nowhere near as extreme as a lever, to snug it up.

mtbr member
    I clamp on the seatpost these days. I used to typically clamp on the frame but modern frames can have very thin-walled hydro-formed tubes and I really don't trust the the clamp on them.

mtbr member
    If you're going to carry it around then you might want the Feedback Pro Elite. I can't envision wanting to take my repair stand on the road, so at half the price, I opted for the Park PCS9. It has a screw-down clamp and works great for me. It does fold up, so I have no particular problem in the rare event I'd want to throw it in the back of the truck, but it is heavier than the FPE at 20lbs compared to 12. The only time I ever need to fold it up, is when I want to hang it on the wall and get it out of the way. For me, the extra $130 wasn't worth the weight that I'd save given my lack of need for transportation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Anyone ever heard of or had any experience with the RAD stand below?
    RAD Cycle Products Pro Bicycle Adjustable Repair Stand Holds up to 66 Pounds or 30 k... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0065PHDZE..._MyH.zbGT3MDBT

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Or how about this one?
    Bikehand Pro Mechanic Bicycle/Bike Repair Rack Stand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D9B7OKQ..._y7H.zbJMQC1SG

Trail Ninja
    For something you're going to use fairly often, I'd say save up for something higher end.

I have a couple Bikehand tools. One I used fairly recently is their cassette lockring tool. I couldn't use my existing one, I think since it just didn't work with the hub I had. When I went to put it in, the amount of slack was surprisingly high. I could rotate it about 5 degrees, before it touched any of the lockring splines, with a little wiggle room. Left a sour taste in my mouth. I'd be worried about the kind of pressure the clamp puts on components, or how likely it is to rotate. The other tool I have from them is a chain master/quick-link tool, which I'm fine with.

Fair warning, I'm spoiled, as my shop has Snap-On tools. I can tell the difference between Bondhus allen keys and chinese ones (ex. out of one of those $50 tool kits). Using cheap tools is likely to damage your components, stripping threads, or some other problem that will give you headaches and misery.

I'm going to +1 on Feedback Elite. I've been using one since '09 or so, got it on sale for $200. When I plan on moving again, I'm sure I'm going to love how lightweight and compact it folds up.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLHANDSTER View Post
    Anyone ever heard of or had any experience with the RAD stand below?
    That is a common design of stand that's been around for years and sold under various names. It's perfectly solid and works well. The plastic clamp head will flex if you wobble a heavy bike on the stand but it won't break.

There is another version of the same stand but with a rotating quick-release lever on the clamp. I'd find one of those, a bit more convenient and no more expensive.

The Bike Hand stand doesn't offer enough over the RAD-type one to justify the extra. All the same parts are still made of plastic and a tray isn't worth $50. Although Park think it is ;0)

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Feedback Pro Elite. Buy once cry once.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have this stand. I would classify as being good for home use, and it folds up nicely for storage and is light in weight. Used it for the last three years, works well,and held my bike securely when i replaced the bottom bracket. Based on you needs this would probably be fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Druman View Post
    I have this stand. I would classify as being good for home use, and it folds up nicely for storage and is light in weight. Used it for the last three years, works well,and held my bike securely when i replaced the bottom bracket. Based on you needs this would probably be fine.
    Which stand do you have currently?

mtbr member
    I have one of these and love it:

Spin Doctor Pro G3 Work Stand - Performance Bike

Folds up nicely for traveling and is very stable when set up.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    I have one of these and love it:

Spin Doctor Pro G3 Work Stand - Performance Bike

Folds up nicely for traveling and is very stable when set up.
    I have this one as well. My only beef is that the legs stick way out into the room and it's easy to trip on. Other than that, it works well. I got it on sale for around $120, so keep your eyes peeled.

The old Park stand I had, the legs were flat on the floor, but as someone pointed out, it's a heavy beast.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:11 PM.
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I have this one as well. My only beef is that the legs stick way out into the room and it's easy to trip on. Other than that, it works well. I got out on sale for around $120, so keep your eyes peeled.

The old Park stand I had, the legs were flat on the floor, but as someone pointed out, it's a heavy beast.
    The legs sticking out too far has been my concern as well. Hmmmmm....

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    anybody just make a maintenance stand from pipe/clamps from local hardware store?