mtbr member

New question here. Reattaching my chainstay guard

Hi all,

The chainstay guard on my 10 year old Schwinn Homegrown has become unglued. What's the best way to reattach this?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reattaching my chainstay guard-homegrown-001a.jpg  

Reattaching my chainstay guard-homegrown-002a.jpg  

~Disc~Golf~
    some double-sided foam tape
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i have some 3m trim adhesive on my bench for grips, headbadges and chainstay protectors. comes in a big spray can. use some zip ties to clamp it down

Can Tree Member
    I would not try to save the original protector. It did its job with pride and honor, now let it rest in peace. (Or pieces). Peel it off, clean up the old glue/stickum crap with sovlent or Goo-B-Gone, and then put on a new chainstay protector. Lots of choices for something new...lizardskin, innertube wrap, bar tape, electrical tape, rubber splicing tape, helicopter tape, etc. Or go naked and wear the scars with pride.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Servo tape available at your local hobby supply store.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs View Post
    i have some 3m trim adhesive on my bench for grips, headbadges and chainstay protectors. comes in a big spray can. use some zip ties to clamp it down
    I'll try this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad Man Walking View Post
    I would not try to save the original protector. It did its job with pride and honor, now let it rest in peace. (Or pieces). Peel it off, clean up the old glue/stickum crap with sovlent or Goo-B-Gone, and then put on a new chainstay protector. Lots of choices for something new...lizardskin, innertube wrap, bar tape, electrical tape, rubber splicing tape, helicopter tape, etc. Or go naked and wear the scars with pride.
    I'll keep this in mind.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    I'll keep this in mind.
    The only reason you should remove that original CS protector is to keep it away from harm. Those are rare and may be relatively valuable someday, given the high value of Homegrowns in general.

Other than that, his idea is not a very good one, unless your current protector isn't doing the job.

Picture Unrelated
    I would actually say that you should glue it back down in whatever way you decide and put a lizard skin over the whole thing. Keep it in original and keep the chainstay from getting beat up.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    The only reason you should remove that original CS protector is to keep it away from harm. Those are rare and may be relatively valuable someday, given the high value of Homegrowns in general.

Other than that, his idea is not a very good one, unless your current protector isn't doing the job.
    The value of Homegrowns has crossed my mind. I certainly do not want that CS protector to fall off and be lost forever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    I would actually say that you should glue it back down in whatever way you decide and put a lizard skin over the whole thing. Keep it in original and keep the chainstay from getting beat up.
    Good idea!

mtbr member

Glue It!

Contact cement - I'll use it to replace falling off ones or create one from old inner tube cut to shape and cleaned well with soap and water then rubbing alcohol. Paint both surfaces with thin layer of contact cement, let dry 5-10 min. sticks...like...glue!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reattaching my chainstay guard-hpim1687.jpg