mtbr member
    May 2007

Rear Wheel Creaking on Bronson

I've had my Santa Cruz Bronson for a little over a month now. A few weeks ago the rear started creaking when I'm out of the saddle pedaling. Turns out the end cap on the drive side of the hub came loose, and subsequently, the freehub came loose. I tightened it up, and the creaking went away.

Towards the end of my next ride, the creaking came back. That drive side end cap, which is threaded, began to come loose again. I tightened it up, just like last time, but now the creaking is not going away. I greased the axle, and greased the end caps also, where they meet the bearings. And those two things did not help.

Anybody got any ideas what it might be? I am using a Stans Arch EX wheelset that uses the 3.30 hub.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    First, isolate the problem. Borrow a rear wheel and replace your existing wheel. If that makes the creaking go away then focus on the wheel.

Since the bike is only a month old, you must still be covered under warranty for either the frame or some other parts. Once youve isolated the problem, it will be easier to address.

If say the problem is really with the wheel, I'd grease the axle frame interface. I'd also check the bearings and reassemble and torque the end cap hardware, the freehub and check the spokes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ^ Yup, thought about that too, even was going to go to my lbs and borrow a rear wheel.

Laat night and this morning, I kept trying everything. Made sure pivots were snug, greased bb threads, lubed bb, checked chainring bolts...nothing. It was definitely coming from the rear hub area.

I focused my attention to the rear wheel again. I started to take apart the hub, make sure things were greased properly, hand looked to make sure nothing was broken. Then something caught my eye. I am using a Sram PG 1080 cassette. Where most cassettes have splines going through them that connect it to the free hub, this one only has splines in the middle right underneath where is the 36 tooth call cog would be. The cassette actually has a large floating cylinder through it, & I thought that might be the problem. So I squirted some silicone lube in there and tighten everything up.

BINGO!!! I rode around and immediately the creaking was gone! I think this design gives the cassette a little more play, and that is why it was creek ing under heavy pedaling.

I really hate chasing creeks, so I'm real happy this problem is solved!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If the floating cassette is the issue and oil solved your creak, the oil wont last long. Get some waterproof axle grease and smear the cassette freehub interface.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    No way to do that with how the cassette is made. I'm sure it will come back. If it is every month or two, I can deal with that until it's time for a new cassette. If it comes back after a few rides, I will just buy a new caasette. Either way, I don't plan on buying a PG-1080 again.