mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Rear shock pin and sleeve dis-assembly - sleeves seized to pin?

Need some outside-of-the-box ideas here. Got a used RP3 shock that I want to install on my ride to replace my old Vanilla Float. Need to swap out the mounting hardware.

On the new shock, the lower eye has a "pin and sleeve" reducer set installed. Trying to follow the instructions on the Fox maintenance site but running into trouble.

Rear Shock Reducer Maintenance

The first step in the dis-assembly simply says to remove the sleeves from the pin, revealing the rubber o-rings on the pin, so they can be removed and the pin pressed out. The picture shows as if they should pull off by hand.

Rear shock pin and sleeve dis-assembly - sleeves seized to pin?-reducerproc_022.gif

I have tried every goddamn thing I can think of to get these buggers of, short of taking a hacksaw to the things. Tried prying with a small screwdriver - bent blade. Tried gripping with vice-grips and twisting off - just gouged the soft metal sleeves. Tried sitting one on a socket and using another small socket to pound the pin out from the center - just marred the pin. I hosed the assembly down with PB Blaster prior to these attempts. Thoughts?

Here's the actual shock:

I need the hardware off so I can swap on the hardware from the Float, which all pulled apart by hand. And yes I know the new shock is shorter, but I think the added slack will actually be beneficial on this old Klein Mantra frame which tends to kick up and over on braking and bumps.

Plays with tools
    Those sleeves do normally slide off by hand. I would use the socket approach but do it in a vise, you can generate a lot more force this way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks, I'll try that. Will the pin slide out even with the rubber o-rings still in there, or will they likely bind up? Do you know offhand what the pin is usually made of? I may need to cut off one end then press the other end out. The sleeve is soft metal and a hacksaw would make short work of it even with slow careful strokes, but the pin looks harder.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by cmags View Post
    Thanks, I'll try that. Will the pin slide out even with the rubber o-rings still in there, or will they likely bind up? Do you know offhand what the pin is usually made of? I may need to cut off one end then press the other end out. The sleeve is soft metal and a hacksaw would make short work of it even with slow careful strokes, but the pin looks harder.
    It's aluminum of some sort. I don't see the O rings causing any problems, their just small bits of rubber.

If your having that much trouble the pin might be slightly bent. If that's the case your probably going to have to dissect it to remove it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Re: Rear shock pin and sleeve dis-assembly - sleeves seized to pin?

Finally got it free after soaking it in blaster some more and getting pissed with the vice grips. They finally started spinning separate from each other ( one sleeve unbound) and I was able to pry it off, then force the pin out of the du bushing using the bench vice.

Now the effing du bushings are giving me the same problem!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Re: Rear shock pin and sleeve dis-assembly - sleeves seized to pin?

Yea. Its bending the vice trying to press out the bushing with a socket on either side

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Plays with tools
    Why are you using your wife's vise?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Yea, I could probably stand to get a better vice, but this one has done everything I've needed it to (basic clamping) over the years. Never had to use it as a press for anything so stubborn.

I stuffed some rags in thru the eyelets and soaked them in Blaster to keep the bushings wet with it overnight, we'll see how it works out this morning. Might have to pony up and pick up a proper bushing tool or bring the shock down to the LBS. It's bewildering - this shock is only a couple years old, and the rest of the shock seems to be in great shape. The 12 year old shock its replacing came right apart.

Plays with tools
    I'm thinking it's bent, one really hard impact could do that. I'd replace the DU bushings while your at it. I'd also do an air sleeve kit before you install it. It's a $10 seal kit and 30 minute job. This way you also have a zero point for future maintenance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    No, the pin wasn't bent, the sleeves were just seized on. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I finally was able to twist one off with the vice grips and press the pin out of the DU bushing.

Now the problem is that the DU bushing is seized to the eyelet. I agree with the air sleeve kit and will do so soon. I just want to get this mounted and test it out to make sure the change in geometry from the 3/8" difference in length doesn't throw off the handling of the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    I have many vices but only one vise for work