mtbr member
    May 2013

Rear derailleur issue - need input

Crashed on Tuesday, endo'd and the bike landed on the rear derailleur side. Chain came off the rear derailleur cogs, so I am guessing it's a bent hanger but looking for feedback.

Now when it's in the front granny gear and the lowest rear cog (closest to the tire), when I try to shift back down, the rear derailleur won't move the chain until I put the front on the middle ring, essentially pulling the chain out or I pull just slightly with my hand when it's on my workstand and it pulls it off the cog, and then shifts no problem. So the issue only occurs when in the granny ring and the lowest gear.

Thoughts??

What could go wrong ...
    try looking from behind the bike and see if the Der is bent ... or you might get more info here

Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Were you in the lowest gear when you crashed? I used to have an older rear mech that was pretty screwed up around the second gear because I did something similar.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    Were you in the lowest gear when you crashed? I used to have an older rear mech that was pretty screwed up around the second gear because I did something similar.
    Nope. Was riding downhill so was in the middle front and somewhere in the middle in the back. I think the hanger was bent, tried straightening it out and it's a little better. Might just replace it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegerman View Post
    Nope. Was riding downhill so was in the middle front and somewhere in the middle in the back. I think the hanger was bent, tried straightening it out and it's a little better. Might just replace it.
    don't just replace it, you will be replacing all the time and at around 20bucks a piece, that would be crazy. Buy the tool for repairing derailluer hanger, and fix it, no big deal.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by 1362 View Post
    don't just replace it, you will be replacing all the time and at around 20bucks a piece, that would be crazy. Buy the tool for repairing derailluer hanger, and fix it, no big deal.
    Even if you do replace it, you should still put a hanger tool on it to do the final adjustment. Just because the hanger is flat, doesn't mean it will be parallel to the wheel once it's bolted up.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Even if you do replace it, you should still put a hanger tool on it to do the final adjustment. Just because the hanger is flat, doesn't mean it will be parallel to the wheel once it's bolted up.
    what he said...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Check the hanger alignment and while you have the derailleur off pull the housing out of the stops on the frame to make sure all of the housing is in good condition not frayed or compressed. Put everything back togeather and re adjust the shifting.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog