Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    60

    Rear derailleur issue - need input

    Crashed on Tuesday, endo'd and the bike landed on the rear derailleur side. Chain came off the rear derailleur cogs, so I am guessing it's a bent hanger but looking for feedback.

    Now when it's in the front granny gear and the lowest rear cog (closest to the tire), when I try to shift back down, the rear derailleur won't move the chain until I put the front on the middle ring, essentially pulling the chain out or I pull just slightly with my hand when it's on my workstand and it pulls it off the cog, and then shifts no problem. So the issue only occurs when in the granny ring and the lowest gear.

    Thoughts??

  2. #2
    What could go wrong ...
    Reputation: Zoke2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,989
    try looking from behind the bike and see if the Der is bent ... or you might get more info here

    Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

    While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

  3. #3
    Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    957
    Were you in the lowest gear when you crashed? I used to have an older rear mech that was pretty screwed up around the second gear because I did something similar.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    Were you in the lowest gear when you crashed? I used to have an older rear mech that was pretty screwed up around the second gear because I did something similar.
    Nope. Was riding downhill so was in the middle front and somewhere in the middle in the back. I think the hanger was bent, tried straightening it out and it's a little better. Might just replace it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegerman View Post
    Nope. Was riding downhill so was in the middle front and somewhere in the middle in the back. I think the hanger was bent, tried straightening it out and it's a little better. Might just replace it.
    don't just replace it, you will be replacing all the time and at around 20bucks a piece, that would be crazy. Buy the tool for repairing derailluer hanger, and fix it, no big deal.

  6. #6
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,283
    Quote Originally Posted by 1362 View Post
    don't just replace it, you will be replacing all the time and at around 20bucks a piece, that would be crazy. Buy the tool for repairing derailluer hanger, and fix it, no big deal.
    Even if you do replace it, you should still put a hanger tool on it to do the final adjustment. Just because the hanger is flat, doesn't mean it will be parallel to the wheel once it's bolted up.

  7. #7
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,148
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Even if you do replace it, you should still put a hanger tool on it to do the final adjustment. Just because the hanger is flat, doesn't mean it will be parallel to the wheel once it's bolted up.
    what he said...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrastories's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    477
    Check the hanger alignment and while you have the derailleur off pull the housing out of the stops on the frame to make sure all of the housing is in good condition not frayed or compressed. Put everything back togeather and re adjust the shifting.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Similar Threads

  1. Rear derailleur shifting issue
    By 94hardtail in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 08:29 PM
  2. Rear derailleur issue
    By dhelm72 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-20-2012, 07:25 AM
  3. Rear derailleur Pulley issue
    By ColoSean in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 12:01 PM
  4. Shimano XT rear derailleur issue
    By woohzle in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-19-2011, 02:27 AM
  5. XX rear derailleur issue
    By discotu in forum SRAM
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 04:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •