mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Rear Derailleur/Hanger difficulties

I fixed my wife's bike with a dag-2 successfully then tried it on mine and was then met with some difficulties.

I aligned the hanger and then put on the x7. On the first pedal stroke with the chain on the small cog the chain went into the frame. I adjusted the limit screw and that fixed that problem.

Then the chain kept skipping on the bottom jockey wheel. Thinking I aligned the hanger incorrectly I went to give it another shot when I broke the hanger clean in half. I put on a new one, didn't even align it, and put the x7 back on. I then experienced the same exact problem, chain skipping on the bottom jockey. I have cancelled out a bad jockey wheel and bent chain links because when I pedal backwards the problem does not occur. Any advice would be appreciated thanks. I'll add a picture in a little bit, right now it isn't working.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    sram has crap derailers and they are all cocked even when the hanger is aligned

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Well I figured it out. The metal part that holds the jockey wheels was bent. I just bent them back by hand and it stopped skipping on the jockey wheel. Cool.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Rear Derailleur/Hanger difficulties

SRAM derailleurs are built with a bit of play, however, you were bang on in your assertion. If the hanger is aligned with the plane of the wheel, but you still have issues, it is derailleur related.

You should always check the derailleur itself after a crash, anyhow, as that is pretty common damage.

Plays with tools
    Something I've run into a few times is that the hanger isn't thick enough and the RD will actually bottom out on itself instead of the H limit screw. The DAG also has a lot of slop in it, so aligning it can take some patience. BTW, Shimano's tolerance for hanger alignment is 4 mm, not a lot. Not sure what SRAM says on the matter but I imagine it's pretty similar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Well the next problem I ran into I couldn't get the chain to to shift to the 10th largest cog. By using the shifter I couldn't get past cog 9. However if I pulled the cable by hand it would shift all the way up. Could this be a hanger alignment issue?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Rear Derailleur/Hanger difficulties

Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    Well the next problem I ran into I couldn't get the chain to to shift to the 10th largest cog. By using the shifter I couldn't get past cog 9. However if I pulled the cable by hand it would shift all the way up. Could this be a hanger alignment issue?

Basic cable tension error. Your indexing is off by one position.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I couldnt fix this no matter what. I released cable tension. Pulled my barrel adjuster all the way in except for two turns. Shifted all the way down. Then reattached cable all to no avail. How can Ifix the indexing?

mtbr member
    Be sure that the first click is shifting to the second cog. Does it shift OK otherwise until it gets to the largest cog? If so maybe take another look at the L limit screw, even though you may be able to shift it there by hand the screw may need a turn or two to allow the shift lever to do it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: Rear Derailleur/Hanger difficulties

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Be sure that the first click is shifting to the second cog. Does it shift OK otherwise until it gets to the largest cog? If so maybe take another look at the L limit screw, even though you may be able to shift it there by hand the screw may need a turn or two to allow the shift lever to do it.
    Yeah you're spot on, that's exactly what's happening. I guess I'll have another round at that low limit screw. Thanks y'all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Well it actually ended up being the new hanger I had put on. It was bent to far away from the frame cause as soon as I aligned that sucker back up and adjusted the limit screws it was fine.

Plays with tools
    Just because you put a brand new hanger on doesn't mean it's straight once it's bolted to the frame. A new hanger should always be checked for alignment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah I was afraid to after i broke the first one but then i grew some balls. Glad i did.

Plays with tools
    They are made to be replaceable for a reason. Don't be afraid, it's only a chunk of recycled PBR cans