Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

rear derailleur and hang broke - questions

731 views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Bikinfoolferlife 
#1 ·
I broke my rear derailler and hanger the other weekend on a pretty lame wreck. I didn't even fall down. The hanger sheared off completely and the derailleur looks like its wrecked. Its taken quite a bit of abuse in its lifetime anyways. The bottom cog actually broke in half.

The derailleur was a shimano deore long cage. The shifters are also shimano. For some reason I want to replace it with an SRAM derailleur. Can I do this without any problems? Also, I have a 2007 Iron Horse Warrior 3.0 - where is a cheap place to get a replacement hanger? I plan on doing this myself.

#5 ·
bvibert said:
Derailleurhanger.com is pretty good. However, I've found that once you factor in shipping their prices weren't any better than my LBS.
Yeah, the LBS is probably the place to go for something like a hanger - providing they have the one you want. Otherwise, you're gonna run into the high shipping-to-cost ratio pretty much anywhere online though.
Looks like a good site for rare or out of production hangers tho :thumbsup:

#6 ·
Helps somewhat justify the shipping if you buy the replacement and a spare too? I've never used them fwiw, they haven't carried the ones I've needed...got mine from the manufacturer direct (Santa Cruz). Some shops don't carry much in the way of hangers...

#8 ·
NoobHill said:
I actually went to one LBS and the guy said he would have to order a shimano deore derailleur. I was thinking WTF? this is a bike shop right? Thanks for the info.
WHY??
If what you said in the OP.."and the derailleur looks like its wrecked", is true, then I don't what know you want him to say...
Not being a dick, just kinda confused maybe...:confused: ;)

#9 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Helps somewhat justify the shipping if you buy the replacement and a spare too? I've never used them fwiw, they haven't carried the ones I've needed...got mine from the manufacturer direct (Santa Cruz). Some shops don't carry much in the way of hangers...
Yes, it makes more sense to order the hanger online if you buy two.

Luckily for me I've only needed Specialized hangers so far, which my LBS stocks.

#11 ·
bvibert said:
I'd guess that he expected the LBS to have a common derailleur in stock.
Yeah, this. Basically, I tried to go there so I could get it replaced ASAP. When he said he could order one I was like.. uhh, I can do that on my own, lol. This was also before I found out that my bike needed a special hanger made for my bike. For some reason I thought hangers would be a standardized part that would fit on all bikes.

#12 ·
NoobHill said:
Yeah, this. Basically, I tried to go there so I could get it replaced ASAP. When he said he could order one I was like.. uhh, I can do that on my own, lol. This was also before I found out that my bike needed a special hanger made for my bike. For some reason I thought hangers would be a standardized part that would fit on all bikes.
So what other derailleurs did he have to offer? He had the hanger or not?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.