mtbr member

Rear derailleur exploded

Hanger is messed up and jockey wheels are compromised, was going to order some new ones. Anyone done this before? If I can do this instead of buying a whole new derailleur?

turtles make me hot
    You can buy just pulleys. It's been a while since I replaced the jockey wheels in any derailleurs. You can usually get new complete derailleurs cheap enough on Ebay.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    What do you mean by your rear derail exploded? Exactly what happened? Lemme guess, you were just riding along and ...........

Magically Delicious
    A picture's worth a thousand words.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Replacing jockey wheels is normal maintenance on MTBs. Jockey wheels can be cheap, under $10. Or expensive - SRAM X7-X9 are around $30. At that price it might be a good idea to replace a X7 derailleur rather than just the jockey wheels.
    If you have taken a hit that damaged all that, you might want to look at just replacing the derailleur.

mtbr member
    Yea I'm deciding to just replace the whole thing. After the price of jockey wheels, and a new hanger if the derailleur is still broken I would have been better off just buying a new one. My next question is I have a Marin Palisades 29er 2012. When getting a new derailleur should it be a long cage or short cage? It's a 10 speed. Also can I go wrong when choosing a hanger or will anyone pretty much do? Any recommendations?

EDIT: I'm assuming I already had a long cage because I run a 3x10?

turtles make me hot
    3X10 needs a long cage.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    Also can I go wrong when choosing a hanger or will anyone pretty much do? Any recommendations?
    Any hanger that will fit your frame will do fine, a lot of them won't. You will need a long cage RD for your 3x10 drivetrain.

mtbr member
    What do you guys do when choosing a hanger? Any luck buying them online? I went to derailleurhanger.com and put in my frame type and chose 2 hole hanger and more than 100 choices popped up. Is it necessary to load up the whole bike to try on hangers at your LBS? I would do this right away except the LBS isn't so local.

EDIT: NVM I found the right one disregard this post. Thanks for the responses guys. I love you.

turtles make me hot
    We love you too, man.
    I like turtles

Fat-tired Roadie
    On most modern bikes, the derailleur hanger is part of the frame, not part of the derailleur. Searching your specific frame or just going to your dealer should get you a quick, specific result.

Can you post some pics? Show us your rear driveside dropout and your derailleur.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx