Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Reaming thumbshifters to fit on road bars

844 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Joules 
#1 ·
I've got a pair of the old XT 7-spd thumbshifters. I want to run them on my roadbars for my cross bike. I have files and sandpaper. Has anyone ever tried this?

#2 ·
lml1x said:
I've got a pair of the old XT 7-spd thumbshifters. I want to run them on my roadbars for my cross bike. I have files and sandpaper. Has anyone ever tried this?
I doubt you'd be able to accurately remove enough metal to make the shifters fit securely. Paul Components makes their thimbie mounts in a 26.0 size to permit bar-end shifters to be mounted to the clamping area of road bars.

#4 ·
I believe the mounting area on a MTB bar is 7/8" where a road bar it's 15/16". (been wondering this myself - if I could mount some cheapie v-brake levers I have on a cowhorn bar on a commuter).

Those shifters, if they are in good working condition, might be worth somthing to the retro crowd, might check what they are going for on ebay before messing with them (i.e., if you could get a better setup with the profits).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.