mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Reaming thumbshifters to fit on road bars

I've got a pair of the old XT 7-spd thumbshifters. I want to run them on my roadbars for my cross bike. I have files and sandpaper. Has anyone ever tried this?

All 26.5" all the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by lml1x
    I've got a pair of the old XT 7-spd thumbshifters. I want to run them on my roadbars for my cross bike. I have files and sandpaper. Has anyone ever tried this?
    I doubt you'd be able to accurately remove enough metal to make the shifters fit securely. Paul Components makes their thimbie mounts in a 26.0 size to permit bar-end shifters to be mounted to the clamping area of road bars.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I think you'd have more luck with a flap wheel, should be able to find one the right size. How much material do you have to remove?

mtbr member
    I believe the mounting area on a MTB bar is 7/8" where a road bar it's 15/16". (been wondering this myself - if I could mount some cheapie v-brake levers I have on a cowhorn bar on a commuter).

Those shifters, if they are in good working condition, might be worth somthing to the retro crowd, might check what they are going for on ebay before messing with them (i.e., if you could get a better setup with the profits).