mtbr member

re-locating tool tray on Ultimate stand

So I've got myself an Ultimate repair stand which has been some of the best money I've spent in my cycling career. The one thing I don't like about it compared to the Park stands is how low the the tool tray. Pedals are constantly whacking into it and tools aren't nearly as easy to get to as the Park tool trays which are up closer to the head. Any ideas how to move the tool tray to the upper section of my stand?

Thanks,
    Hank

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

shims

Since ultimate has designed the tool tray to use shims for mounting it on the different diameters of tubes of the different stand models they sell, I would say to try that. Just find a shim of the correct thickness, slide the actual mount over it and than slide the tooltray in it.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    yeah, it came w/ 2 shims, no? that's what I recall anyway, one of the shims it to put up higher.... now where did I put that darn thing?

Quote Originally Posted by hankthespacecowboy
    So I've got myself an Ultimate repair stand which has been some of the best money I've spent in my cycling career. The one thing I don't like about it compared to the Park stands is how low the the tool tray. Pedals are constantly whacking into it and tools aren't nearly as easy to get to as the Park tool trays which are up closer to the head. Any ideas how to move the tool tray to the upper section of my stand?

Thanks,
    Hank
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

On MTBR hiatus :(
    My tool tray came with the two shims, too, but I believe no instructions. However, for whatever reason I recall the different shims being for the different guages of aluminum tube being used on their Pro and Consumer stands, and perhaps Park stands. I don't think they are thick enough to combine and mount to the telescoping section.

However, I'm surprised you're having this trouble. Even with the wide platform pedals on my wife's bike, I'm able to rotate the tray to the opposite side of the stand such that it is entirely clear of the pedal arc. If there were a problem, the pedal would just as soon strike the lower support tube if it struck the tool tray.
    speedub.nate
    и MTBR Hiatus UFN и