Mountain Warrior

Race Face crank extractor

A few weeks ago I bought a Race Face Evolve DH crank (the one with the ISIS BB) to replace my Shimano Deore M510 cranks. I was told that the cotterless crank extractor that I was using for my Shimano cranks would work with the Race Face, but now that the Race Face cranks arrived I realized that the part of the extractor that threads into the Shimano crank arms does not thread into the Race Face cranks... so what is the correct tool for this application? Mind you thins is my first ISIS bottom bracket, I've been using Shimano's Octalink until now. According to the Park tools website the same tool hould work for both cranlks, but mine doesn't...

Here's the piece firmly threaded into the M510 crank arm

Here it is over the Race Face, it won't even start one thread
    Last edited by sanmusa; 11-22-2006 at 09:41 PM.
    --sanmusa

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live." - Mark Tawin

"The bicycle has a soul. If you succeed to love it, it will give you emotions that you will never forget." - Mario Cipollini

-> SickLines.com <-
    You're probably missing the self extracting bolts. or did you nto install them? What does your left side crank arm look like.
    Last edited by mtb_biker; 11-23-2006 at 06:36 PM.

Mountain Warrior
    Looks the same, and the bottom bracket that came with the cranks (not Race Face) had regular bolts.
    --sanmusa

"The bicycle has a soul. If you succeed to love it, it will give you emotions that you will never forget." - Mario Cipollini

-> SickLines.com <-
    were the deore's square taper? If so you need a different extractor. The park-tool i use works fine.(ccp-4) Does the tool fit in the non drive side?

Mountain Warrior
    No, the Deore was Octalink. Do all Race Face use self extracting bolts? Because these cranks came with none.
    --sanmusa

-> SickLines.com <-
    strange, its possible could be your threads are boogered in the crank / extractor. does it work in the non drive side arm? If not i suspect you might need the self extracting bolts

Mountain Warrior
    Threads are new on both sides, and the threads on the extractor work perfectly on the Deore cranks. It's just a different thread size altogether.
    --sanmusa

Mountain Warrior
    Ok, are the threads on self extracting bolts the same as regular crank bolts? If they are then I have a problem with my cranks, if they are not then I will order me a pair of self extracting bolts.
    --sanmusa

-> SickLines.com <-
    i can't speak for those specific raceface's but all the ISIS cranks I have (truvativ's & race face prodigy)) work fine with the park extractor (CCP-4)

mtbr member

mine works for both.

I just put on a set of Rf evolve Dh cranks on my bike as well, and it also didnt have any bolts.
    I used the bolts from my octalink cranks and they worked fine.
    My crank arm puller also threaded in fine as well.
    try your octalink bolt if it threads in then your puller should work. try it on both arms. if it works on one and not the other, then the threads are buggered on the one arm.
    Just remember when removing the octalink bolts there is a very thin washer that must be put o nthe bolt before re-installing.

Mountain Warrior
    Well, the Octalink bolts work for the simple reason that they thread into the bottom bracket, not into the cranks arms... the crank extractor tool (mine is a Lifu, looks and works like a Park Tool CWP-6) threads into the crank arms, a different thread altogether. I am ordering some self extracting bolts and hope they work... The cranks are now installed and they work great, they flex a lot less than the Deore (I weight 205 lbs); I just hope I can work a tool to remove them when needed...
    --sanmusa