mtbr member

Putting together basic tool kit...What am I missing?

Putting together a basic kit to do my repairs and I already have some things,but need your guys opinions on what I may need. I'll buy more when/if needed.

Have:
    Basic tools....wrenches,sockets,etc.
    Chain breaker tool
    Park 3-way hex
    Topeak multi tool
    Long handled ball allen wrenches (sae and metric)
    Extra KMC missing link.....chain links

On order:
    Park cassette removal tool (FR-5)
    Park sprocket remover/chain whip (SR-1)
    Park Master link pliers (MLP-1)

Need:
    Bottom Bracket tool
    Cone wrenches? (13,15,17)?
    2011 Rockhopper Comp 29er
    2011 Myka HT Disc (wife)

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Headset press and puller set..

Torque wrench?

And a BFH.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Headset tools: hold off until its necessary. It may be a better option to take it to bike tech as well. Most bikes dont need headset service often.
    Get the best tire pump you can afford. You'll have it a long time and if it sucks, that seems even longer. Air for shocks? Same story. Oh, and a quality tire guage, especially if you opt for a sucky pump.
    BB tools to fit YOUR bike(s), plus your buddy's bike if he's the type to bring some beer while you help him fix his bike.
    I notice no spoke wrench. Truing wheels isn't rocket science.
    I like the plastic tire tools from park, but they are NOT the only ones.
    I use my cheap dial caliper a lot...and combined with a cheap calculator, I never guess at things.
    You CAN get by with a pocket chain tool, but a shop model brings joy.
    I Love my Pedro's cable cutter, but there are others just as good

Spares: if you ride near home or near reputable shops a lot you're fine. Locals took a trip to Copper Harbor recently without considering this and wished they had. Obviously bike-specific, but tubes, tires, and chains/links are at top of list.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfatbaldguy View Post
    Headset tools: hold off until its necessary. It may be a better option to take it to bike tech as well. Most bikes dont need headset service often.
    Get the best tire pump you can afford. You'll have it a long time and if it sucks, that seems even longer. Air for shocks? Same story.

I'll grab one.

BB tools to fit YOUR bike(s), plus your buddy's bike if he's the type to bring some beer while you help him fix his bike.

Took a while but,finally figured out what I needed.

I notice no spoke wrench. Truing wheels isn't rocket science.

Good catch. I'll grab one.

I like the plastic tire tools from park, but they are NOT the only ones.

Have them.

I use my cheap dial caliper a lot...and combined with a cheap calculator, I never guess at things.
    You CAN get by with a pocket chain tool, but a shop model brings joy.
    I Love my Pedro's cable cutter, but there are others just as good

Spares: if you ride near home or near reputable shops a lot you're fine. Locals took a trip to Copper Harbor recently without considering this and wished they had. Obviously bike-specific, but tubes, tires, and chains/links are at top of list.

Got my spares.
    Thanks for the info.
    2011 Myka HT Disc (wife)

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris.S. View Post
    And a BFH.
    My adjustable wrench is used as a BFH just as often as it's used as a wrench (not often, though).

Torx keys would be a good idea. And some quality cable cutters. Nothing worse than trying to force a frayed cable into housing. I like my Park cutters. They've stayed sharp for the ~6 years that I've had them, even after the time that I used them to cut the aluminum stays on my fenders.

Regarding pumps, quality is definitely something to look for. But you can get quality for low amount of money. My Sette shock pump was ~$20 and works great, including the two-step chuck removal.

You'll also want some different lubes (wet and dry) and some grease.

Shop rags. Old t-shirts/socks work great.

Zip-ties. Those always come in handy.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    A decent work stand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    A decent work stand.
    Had one for a few months now.
    2011 Myka HT Disc (wife)

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input,It's appreciated.
    2011 Myka HT Disc (wife)

Outlaw
    Never-seize, like Franks hot sauce, I put that **** on everything. Okay, not quite everything. And Loctite, the blue medium strength stuff.

mtbr member
    I agree with everybody's suggestions... perhaps add a Rubber Mallet if you don't already have one.
    Although they are not officially a "tools"... I would suggest having a spare derailleur hangar and a "missing link chain" in your tool kit and pack it with your riding tools set.
    John 3:16

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Cable cutters for sure. And a little awl and file to clean up the ends. Makes redoing cables so easy.

Depending on a bike and parts, a T-25 will be needed.

Sounds like you also need an adjustable wrench (for cassette removal tool usage/etc)

A Harbor Freight T handle allen set is cheap and way easier/better than the 3 way: 18 Piece T-Handle Ball Point and Hex Key Wrench Set Toss the american wrenches and use the stand

I would get a torkey as well for easy handlebar/stem/etc installations. I use the hell out of mine: Amazon.com: Ritchey TorqKey 5Nm with 4 bits M5/4/3/T-15: Sports & Outdoors

Lastly, a decent torque wrench and a set of hex ends goes a long way in making sure that your crank and suspension bolts are all set at the right torque (Amazon.com: VENZO Bicycle Bike Torque Wrench Allen Key Tool Socket Set Kit: Sports & Outdoors)

You can save a few bucks on the torque setup with wrench from HF (1/4" Torque Wrench - 20-200 in. lbs.) and a separate hex set (Amazon.com: Pedro's Hex Bit Set: Sports & Outdoors)

-Tom

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    With all the Carbon frames now, you'd be crazy to tighten a bolt by guessing, and take the risk of cracking a $1000+ frame. Torque Wrench is imperative. Also I like to stock up on a good supply of Ferrels 4.5 & 5.0mm, and cable ends. Can't stand cables fraying, and it will make your bike look more professional if you make sure you have cables end on every cable. Good Bench vise also goes a long way. If you get a crank extractor, get the kind that requires a wrench(shop quality), as they are not that much more, and you get better quality without having to pay for that stupid handle that is not as good.
    That's enough for now.