mtbr member

Pulling trigger on Park TS 2.2 true stand couple of questions

Pulling the trigger on Park TS 2.2 trueing stand. Should I get the base tray stand. Also, does anyone know of a video on how to center the damn thing.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    as a professional mechanic, i HIGHLY recommend the base, most especially if you have park spoke wrenches.

however, as for the centering, i don't put much stock in that process for a home mechanic. i used to go around to all 6 workstations in the shop and recenter them every month, but it got to be way to much of a hassle, and one thing i found was that the stands consistently tended to migrate to the same position. i found it much more convenient to reach an understanding on where the wheel would set in the stand and flip flop it to get your dish dialed in. however, as a professional mechanic, i also highly recommend a dishing tool if your wheel truing and or building experience progresses.

cheerio!
    -bhd

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I got a dish tool. Easier over all.

As for the stand, I used a nice piece of thick MDF and bolted the truer onto it.

I used a spade bit to dig a recess in the mdf for the bolt head so its flush.

I can adjust the angle of the stand by srcewing a length of wood on either side of the base. Havent had a need to do it though. The stand is very stable and is easy enough to put away.

mtbr member
    Added, the park Park WAG-4 Wheel Alignment Gauge. I picked this one because you can keep the tire on. Anyone have anything negative about it?

Park WAG-4 Wheel Alignment Gauge from ModernBike.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Its not worth the extra 10 bucks for me. If Im truing a wheel, I like to take the tire off to do it right.

I guess it helps if your checking dish in a shop with an unknown bike. Saves time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i don't use the tilt feature on the base but do like the trays. good for holding valve caps and spoke wrenches. get a dish stick. they come "centered" out of the box

mtbr member
    Just popped my "truing" cherry. Feels good. Old rim laying around. Dish is off about 1/8 inch on one side, but got the rim trued to about 1 to 2 mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Work at getting it at .5mm or less

Feeler gauges are a big help, specially for older folk like me

mtbr member
    I will def need feeler guages to get to .5. Do you have to take the tires off to use the feeler guages. I'm pretty happy with 1 or 2 mm. I'm always pretty busy and time is short. I've got wheels with 15 mm and 20 mm t/a. Will this work for me with the stand:

Park Tool Co. TS-2TA : Thru Axle Adaptors for TS-2.2 and TS-2 Truing Stands : Wheel Truing Stands and Accessories
    Last edited by crclawn; 10-01-2011 at 01:41 PM.