mtbr member

Proto torque wrench

I was rooting around in my garage recently and found an old red plastic box. I opened it up and inside it saw a brand new Proto 6064A torque wrench.

It has a stated range of 40 - 200 in-lbs. which, according to my iPhone converter app, is about 4.5 - 22.6 Nm.

Is this sufficiently low enough to be of use wrenching on bikes? I've seen some my Thomson bits have recommended torques as low as 4 Nm but I doubt I'd do much damage at 4.5 Nm.

Finally, 4.5 Nm feels like REALLY low torque. Is that ultra conservative on Thomson's part or am I just that strong?
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Long levers make you feel like a gorilla. I'd err on trusting the wrench, myself. Most clamping bolts are just around 44+ inch pounds on a bike, but there are notable exceptions (thread in bottom brackets, crank bolts...that's about it). Some bolts fall under the range of your torque wrench (Avid's recommendation for rotor bolts, for instance).

It's certainly a useful wrench, but I might prefer one with a slightly smaller range (and a lower end, at that) for most of my work on a bicycle.

Can Tree Member
    Cool find...

What is the back story? Not sure I'd forget stashing a tool like that. But that's just me.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    What app are you using for conversion?

Plays with tools
    Most all click style torque wrenches are accurate only in the upper 80% of their stated range. So even if you're willing to over torque by the .5nm that could turn into 1.5 or 2 over. You could mitigate that by having it calibrated, at those lower values though.

mtbr member
    App: Converter+ 2.4. Fantastic app that converts every UOM I can find. I think it also does currency.

Backstory: I ran a large manufacturing operation many years ago that we closed down. When everything was transitioned, we spent about a month getting rid of the final assets -- mainly the small stuff like office supplies and some tools. The last 5-6 of us left ended up taking a few boxes of this stuff home. I sifted through the remnants and grabbed anything that looked remotely useful. So I have a bunch of allen wrenches, files, etc. In that box of junk was this brand new proto torque wrench.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.