mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Progold Prolink Chain Lube -- Bottle is open & some other **** -- Online shop ripoff?

I got a Progold Prolink chain lube from an online shop. The bottle is open [should it be sealed?]. Also there was some of what's in it at the outside of the bottle; smells like naphthalene. I wonder if they got the lube and put in some other ****?

[You may think I'm too suspicious, but if you check my other thread, it seems they tried to rip me off with a faulty chain tool. So yeah, I am suspicious.]

Thanx.

ouch....
    What online place are you ordering from????
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The small 4oz bottles come with a red plastic "seal" in the bottle neck. You have to remove the cap and remove the seal before using it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    The small 4oz bottles come with a red plastic "seal" in the bottle neck. You have to remove the cap and remove the seal before using it.
    Mine have always come like that as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ok, thanx guys. I bought from ukbikestore.co.uk.

I'm returning it. I expect to pay no shipping. I'll keep you updated. [I don't understand what they expect by doing business like that...]

mtbr member
    I bought a bottle from the local shop and there wasn't any seal on it. I could see how it would leak if shipped on its side.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainChain
    I bought a bottle from the local shop and there wasn't any seal on it. I could see how it would leak if shipped on its side.
    Well, to say the truth, it looks like lube, and when I pour some on a piece of paper it runs like hell; it's unnaturally-wickedly runny.

I'll try it first and see...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lookanuah
    Well, to say the truth, it looks like lube, and when I pour some on a piece of paper it runs like hell; it's unnaturally-wickedly runny.

I'll try it first and see...
    Bottles I've bought didn't have any seals on it either. The stuff does smell and it is very thin. My guess is that you got the right stuff.

human dehumidifier
    No seal on a bottle I got recently. It has a fancy twist to squirt cap on it that doesn't come off, it just opens up. They should really consider putting some kind of seal under the cap. Without the seal, if that cap gets opened even a little bit that thin lube will just run out.
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004
    i've never seen a bottle with a seal.

and yes, the stuff is quite thin.
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It is very thin, I keep wanting to shake my bottle, but there is nothing thick or chunky that separates to the bottom.

The way the bottles come into the shop is inside a plastic bag. I wouldn't worry about it not being sealed. It's great stuff and should do well for your drivetrain!

ol' dusty lungs
    Nothing wrong with your bottle. Prolink is clear, thin, and smells like gasoline. It also washes off at the first hint of moisture... terrible choice if you ride in the wet.