mtbr member

Problem with TALAS adjuster knob - 2008 Fox 36 Talas RC2

Hi all,

I just recently rebuilt the Talas assembly in my 2008 Fox 36 since the adjustments weren't working (maintained 160mm travel regardless of adjuster position).

Anyway, I snapped a couple of pictures to help explain the problem. Basically, the adjuster knob doesn't stop on the 'stop' like it did before. I feel like I may have assembled it wrong or am missing a part. However, I do know the adjustments are working now

Here's the issue in photos:

160mm travel setting - no issues:

100mm travel setting - works but the knob has raised up significantly:

Uh oh, the knob keeps turning! The stopper on the adjuster now goes over the stopper on the main assembly.

Side angle to show how far the Talas assembly has raised up which will let in all sorts of crap:

I can continue turning the knob until the air is released from the assembly. That would obviously suck if it inadvertently happened in the middle of the ride.

Any ideas about what's going on here?

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    I would tear it apart and re-build it. Definitely would not ride with it put together wrong.

When you put it together last, were there any broken parts?
    Get it unlocked.

mtbr member
    I'll be doing that. I didn't notice any broken parts when I tore it apart and put it together. I'll keep a close eye on all the parts this time, though.