mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Probably a simple answer, Nukeproof rear hub, so...

I have noticed a bit of play in my nukeproof generator rear hub which I have had for about 6 months (rim moves about 5mm). I had a look at it just now and one of the axle ends (drive side) has a stripped thread. See top right picture on step 2:

[How To] Nukeproof generator rear hub maintenance and bearing replacement by carloscorreia - Pinkbike

Would this be enough to give the wheel play? Even with the QR tightened really tight?

If so, new drive side axle end... if not.... bearings?..... already?.....

mtbr member
    When you say stripped thread, do you mean one thread is stripped, or they all are? Can you tighten the end cap at all?

I don't know anything about those hubs, but if you can't tighten the end cap at all I'd think it could cause play, no matter how tight you make the QR.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    From the pictures it doesn't look like the end caps are threaded. First thing I'd check is make sure the quick release is holding the axle in place. These new style quick releases don't work very well.
    Put a drop of oil on the QR handle where it moves against the cam. Do the QR up very tight and see if that solves the problem.
    First thing I do with a new set of wheels is replace the rear quick release with a Shimano closed cam style.
    I've recently found that I need to replace front QR as well. Chased a similar problem with my Sun Ringle front, took the caps off and played around, finally found it was the QR.