mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Press Fit 30 Bottom bracket with Sram XX1 GXP crankset

Tried the search but did not find what I was looking for.

Problem: Using PF30 to BSA adaptor recently had to remove/replace external bottom bracket. I did not remove the PF30 to BSA adaptor that I understand SRAM says is a one time use only. Now driveside is backing out slightly on one edge causing creaking.

Possible Solutions: Suggestions requested. 1. New PF30 to BSA adaptor since old one may be compromised? I will be using this (possibly) with a warrantied Chris King External type bottom bracket.

2. Completely different/new PF30 bottom bracket that works with my SRAM XX1 GXP crank....suggestions?

My thinking: The PF30 to BSA Adaptor worked fine until the Chris King BB drive side bearing crapped out and I removed/replaced the BB, so least expensive would be to replace with new PF30 to BSA adaptor and hope the problem goes and stays away. Or should I drop some coin and get the new Chris King Pressfit 30 BB and adaptor for GXP Cranks (about a $200 fix). Or maybe some other PF30 bottom bracket?

Suggestions please.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    just use loctite 609 on the adapter and frame. could also consider the adapters that thread together like the ones from wheels mfg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have been contemplating using something like locktite. I talked to Niner and they said to press it in dry and I have seen this many other places too.

Would the locktite allow removal at a later date if needed?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    yes it can be removed

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    This locktite 609 stuff is VERY hard to find other than online. I needed to install my crank last night for a race this weekend so I just pressed it in dry. If it works its way back out I will order the Loctite. I looked at several automobile places, walmart, Grainger. Other than Grainger, nowhere had it, they just had the standard red and blue bolt thread locker. Grainger (much like many bikeshops when trying to get a part) said they would have to order it. I can order stuff and have it delivered to my front porch.

Anyways, crossing my fingers that my dry installation will hold.