mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Post up your favorite, your best, what you can't live without..

..Tools. Not tools of the human origin, but of the mechanical side, and what you cannot seem to survive in the shop without. Beer may seem obvious for the after hours applications. May even be an old crusty shop apron with 100 pieces of flare.. I personally have not a clue what's good in the world of slinging wrenches since I hardly get out much nand my view outside my shop seldom changes.

What I'd really like to start out with though, is who's got the best set of stainless t-handle ball end hex wrenches? I have been looking and looking but am just finding harbor freight garbage and similar.

Thanks to all those that point me in the right direction! Hope starting a thread such as this will keep some focus on the tools that keep us rolling and less the troubleshooting that seems to sidetrack a lot of threads on MTBR.

Thanks a lot!

TWM.
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I can't think of any stainless options...
    However..... I like Felo and Bondhus

Felo T-HANDLES

T-Handles

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    bondhus

mtbr member
    If you can use P handle.......Park for me. Ball on one end. Flat hex on the other.

Plays with tools
    Name:  1355934943656-12omwyq2zk1zv-360-70.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  17.4 KB
    I don't know how I ever live without my Crombie tool honestly. To think I put in close to a decade as a mechanic without this thing make me wonder how much more time I could have spent on my bike. I'm a little biased to this thing though.

I've also really enjoyed my Knipex wire rope cutters. After many years of service from my trusty Felco's I replaced them with these and have been supper happy with them this season. I've got a hand full of other Knipex pliers and cutters and they are all fantastic tools. Post up your favorite, your best, what you can't live without..-9561190.jpg

Check out Wera or Whia for your allen wrenches. Not sure what style you're after but both of those guys make solid tools with great ergonomics. Personally I use Mac allens and they have served me well, helps that I can have them replaced as they wear out without any fuss. But I know they don't make stainless versions.

Last thing I've picked up that I've been super happy with are the felo screw drivers. The #2 phillips is the perfect size for limit screws. Not sure why this eludes bike specific companies, but they hit the nail on the head. The fit is so tight that the screw driver will actually stick in limit screw, supporting it's own weight.
    Post up your favorite, your best, what you can't live without..-560772_316366648473780_905318182_n.jpg

My general thoughts on bicycle tools is if you're not looking for bike specific tools, stay away from bike companies. There are brands out there delivering a better product for comparable money.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    If you can use P handle.......Park for me. Ball on one end. Flat hex on the other.
    No going wrong with park tool.. The bondhus seems to have just the one end and the handle.

I like this. Post up your favorite, your best, what you can't live without..-thandlejpeg.jpg
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Name:  1355934943656-12omwyq2zk1zv-360-70.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  17.4 KB
    I don't know how I ever live without my Crombie tool honestly. To think I put in close to a decade as a mechanic without this thing make me wonder how much more time I could have spent on my bike. I'm a little biased to this thing though.

I've also really enjoyed my Knipex wire rope cutters. After many years of service from my trusty Felco's I replaced them with these and have been supper happy with them this season. I've got a hand full of other Knipex pliers and cutters and they are all fantastic tools. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9561190.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	838121

Check out Wera or Whia for your allen wrenches. Not sure what style you're after but both of those guys make solid tools with great ergonomics. Personally I use Mac allens and they have served me well, helps that I can have them replaced as they wear out without any fuss. But I know they don't make stainless versions.

Last thing I've picked up that I've been super happy with are the felo screw drivers. The #2 phillips is the perfect size for limit screws. Not sure why this eludes bike specific companies, but they hit the nail on the head. The fit is so tight that the screw driver will actually stick in limit screw, supporting it's own weight.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	560772_316366648473780_905318182_n.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	838122

My general thoughts on bicycle tools is if you're not looking for bike specific tools, stay away from bike companies. There are brands out there delivering a better product for comparable money.
    Bad ass! I have to ask... You don't mid if I bite your style do you? I have to now go and buy all those tools immediately.

Thanks for taking me to school on this. It's good to learn-

rep added.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post

I like this. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thandlejpeg.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	233.0 KB 
ID:	838125
    Those allens are pretty sweet as well, I think Wera makes them but not sure. The 'T' slides back and forth and has detents to stop at each end as well as mid way. I know a few other traveling mechanics that use them that have been really happy with them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Lots of nice tools so far. All good brands.

My favourite tool is the truing stand I made.

My custom pro truing stand

Any other homemade tools?