Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Pedal wrench question?

Looking to buy a pedal wrench and I see that most are 15mm. I wanted to verify my pedal size prior to ordering a wrench, so I tried a 15mm open end wrench from my toolbox and it does not fit?

Both of my bikes have Shimano pedals, PD-647 and wondering what pedal wrench will fit?

Thanks

mtbr member
    If not 15mm, should be 9/16". If hex then 6mm or 8mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I used 15mm on my PD-M647's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosgrc View Post
    I used 15mm on my PD-M647's
    +1

Shimano instructions say: "Always be sure to use a 15 mm spanner."

mtbr member
    Lots of 15mm open ended wrenches are too fat to fit onto pedals. The slot on pedals is pretty small on some models.

Your shimanos are 15.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Lots of 15mm open ended wrenches are too fat to fit onto pedals. The slot on pedals is pretty small on some models.

Your shimanos are 15.
    That is the correct answer!! As one member had said, Shimano instructions call for using a 15 mm spanner wrench and if you look at the enlarged view of the part, you can see that only the center part of the bolt is thin. This is why a normal open end wrench will not fit.
    I could not figure this out, thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've worked in a shop for the last year and with the exception of the high end pedals that use a allen wrench all have been 15mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrs1Rider View Post
    I've worked in a shop for the last year and with the exception of the high end pedals that use a allen wrench all have been 15mm.
    I am now sure the 15mm pedal wrench will work. When I installed the pedals on my hard tail, I used an allen socket from the inside side of the crank.

Nevertheless, I will but a Park Tool pedal wrench! Thanks for the info.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Park tool pedal wrench is handy. I've got one.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Lezyne also has a really nice pedal wrench for about $23.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've actually been thing about buying one of these allen wrenches for pedals though.

Park Tool Co. HT-8 : 8mm Hex Tool : Crank Tools

mtbr member
    Why buy that when for $15. you can buy a 10 piece allen set, 3/8 & 1/2 drive so you can use them with a ratchet or torque ratchet.

I bought one metric set and one standard set and they have been great for bicycle and commercial lawn mower work.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    I've actually been thing about buying one of these allen wrenches for pedals though.

A standard 8mm Allen works just fine, with the added benefit of not costing nearly as much as that "specialty" one.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member

I bit the bullet an bought one of these 6 months ago. I use all Crankbrothers pedals and they require the 8mm Allen. I also have a ratchet and full set of Allen sockets so it was possible to get them off with those. However I think this piece wa a good investment. With the soft handle and the one piece leverage, this just makes it soo easy to pop off the pedals. In my personal experience, the pedals are the hardest bolts to pop off and every bit of leverage helps.

No need to overspend - here you go for 9 bucks. Park Tool HT 8 Bicycle 8mm Hex Tool with Handle Bicycle Shop Tool Look Pedal | eBay

Cycle Psycho
    *oopspost*
    Last edited by Gritter; 02-18-2013 at 07:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Lezyne has a wood handle pedal wrench for $24. so it is the same price as the Park Tool and is equal to the Park Tool vinyl coated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've head the Lezyne pumps are amazing and worth the price. But some of their stuff is over priced. We use a $10 evo pedal wrench at work for service and it's last several years of tune ups and bike builds. Yeah it's a little chewed up but your tightening up pedals on a bike you don't need some elaborate tool and if you grease the threads they should not be seized in the future. If I was going to drop some serious coin on any tools it would be the park derailleur hanger tool or the truing stand.

mtbr member
    I've head the Lezyne pumps are amazing and worth the price. But some of their stuff is over priced. We use a $10 evo pedal wrench at work for service and it's last several years of tune ups and bike builds. Yeah it's a little chewed up but your tightening up pedals on a bike you don't need some elaborate tool and if you grease the threads they should not be seized in the future. If I was going to drop some serious coin on any tools it would be the park derailleur hanger tool or the truing stand.
    Unless you are a shop, no need for an expensive pedal wrench. I like an inexpensive one to carry along with me so I could change pedals when on a biking vacation, clipless to platforms, etc.

On the other hand, as far as having one pump for the mtn bikes and another for the road bikes, I would spend the money for the best, and the best being Lezyne. Great design with the flexible hose stored in the pump body and the screw on valve attachment, how could it be better? 9 except for being less expensive)

banned
    Aug 2012
    I took a cheap wrench to the grinder (thinned it out), years ago, and it still works fine.

Cycle Psycho
    *oopspost*

mtbr member
    The Park Wrench is definitely a better too, I think it is more than $25!

Cycle Psycho
    *oopspost*
    Last edited by Gritter; 02-18-2013 at 08:00 PM.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Craftsman, Proto, Mac ... All of them carry these sizes for about half the price, and Harbor Freight has entire sets for less than $20 ... Just say'n.

Besides, it's just a pedal, it's not like it has to be uber tight, and if it is, a good smack on the wrench handle (hammer) will loosen it right up.

Then again ... It's not my money you're spending, and I'm not running a repair shop.

mtbr member
    Might just get the Park Tool home mechanic wrench for $10 for the hanful of times that I will use it!

Cycle Psycho
    *oopspost*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast