Thread: Parts Storage

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Parts Storage

Does anyone have a good recommendation for part storage? I have everything from rotors to pedals to small ferrules that I have in various boxes to do so. I moved and lost my shop (big mistake). I am looking for one or two boxes that work to store parts big and small.

Other things to store: cassettes, chains, rarely used tools, cleats, etc. etc.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I have a 25-drawer organizer for all my small parts. It's just a metal thing with 25 sliding drawers, found it in my neighbors trash. For larger parts, I have them in boxes now, but really want a nice metal shelving unit to store everything (in boxes or just on the shelf).
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

Wanderer
    I use a large fancy tackle box for most items. For the larger stuff, milk crates in the closet.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    I use a large fancy tackle box for most items. For the larger stuff, milk crates in the closet.
    ya.. pretty much what I do... tackle box holds all the basic tools and smaller parts.. cardboard boxes for larger stuff...

I built a wooden stool/box that I use to hold larger tools and cables and such also...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Big plastic totes for the large stuff. Smaller stuff, I either hang on the pegboard (rotors, new seal kits, shock rebuild kits, brake pads etc.) or put in drawers in my spare tool box (all of my fork small parts, orings, etc). Really small stuff (bolts, screws, seals, clips, etc), I put in small plastic containers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Parts Storage-photo-l.jpg

mtbr member

Try Harbor Freight

I use several of these for small part storage…
    Parts Storage-hf.jpg

These are great for cable ends, ferrules, and misc. small stuff. Best of all, they're pretty cheap. I also use shoebox size plastic bins and larger bins that can be easily stacked in my cabinets in the garage. My space is somewhat limited, so this is an easy way to store and keep track of what I've got.

Birdman aka JMJ
    I have a couple plastic totes with bike parts. I put "like" parts together (shifters, brake components, etc.) in plastic bags, then store those on the covered totes. I also throw desiccant packs in each tote and in every drawer of my tool box.

I have a tote for new parts, old (but still okay) parts, spare/worn parts, and lubes/shock oil/etc.

For screws, I have them all in a big plastic bag. When I need one, I dump the bag onto a large piece of paper, find the one I need, then fold the paper taco-style and dump back into the bag.

JMJ

mtbr member
    I have plastic totes too and use lots of gallon sized ziplocs for similar parts...

mtbr member

Parts Storage

Ziplocks are great. My bins are filled with bags of labeled parts. Great way to minimize 'shop wear' too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    In the end I decided that ArtBins, while expensive, are the best until I get another shop. They are on Amazon for $9.99. Handles, strong closure, and configurable. Thanks for all the other ideas.

mtbr member

Parts Storage

Those look to be just what you need til you find something permanent. And a good value to boot.