mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Part Tools Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair.

Has anyone referanced more that one repair book? I'm getting tired of borrowing my brothers Hanes book and have been thinking about getting the Park BBB 2nd edition. Any input on either of these books would be much appriciated. Also kind of wondering how much additional info/pics the BBB 2nd edition has over the original BBB.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have the park 2nd edition and zinns book.5th edition, zinn's book is far better

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Mitch - Was wondering if you might elaborate on your comment? Is there anything specific that makes the Zinn's book better? Also I have both mtb and road bike. If I go the Zinn's route, I'd need to purchace two books, correct?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    In my opinion, if you have access to the intarwebs there's no reason to have a reference book.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The only problem with that is that I don't have a computer in my garage, where I do all bike bike fixin stuff. I also don't really like the idea of getting a keyboard all greasy. I have a short memory when it comes to which screw to turn and how far to turn it, so it's helpful for me to have the referance material infront of me vs. running into the house every 2 minutes, which I've done...hate it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    One of the best things I've done is buy a cheap laptop (under $100 on eBay) and put it in my basement to use when I'm working on things. I even bought a silicon keyboard cover for it from China for $3.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Not a bad idea. What sites to you prefer to use?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I mostly use my laptop to look up specs on components, service instructions, and find parts and pars availability. However, I know Park Tool has a good maintenance and repair section on their website, and MTBR is also an excellent resource.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchD View Post
    I have the park 2nd edition and zinns book.5th edition, zinn's book is far better
    Hmmm kinda funny as I found just the opposite. Much prefer the Parks book
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Watch a video on YouTube to get a general idea of what you're doing, find a step-by-step procedure online (parktool.com, mtbr, etc.), print on paper, bring to garage=problem solved.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gsjulich View Post
    Mitch - Was wondering if you might elaborate on your comment? Is there anything specific that makes the Zinn's book better? Also I have both mtb and road bike. If I go the Zinn's route, I'd need to purchace two books, correct?

Thanks
    I feel zinns book goes into more elaborate detail and is also geared towards the do it yourselfer. The park book does not flow well for me, an example is the chapter dealing with bottom brackets specificly hollowtech II. Parks book tells you first how to install it, later they tell you how to remove it.The park book only lets you know about Park tools(duh), zinns book lets you know about other brands that are sometimes better ,sometimes not. just my 3 cents worth

Pay no mind to us...
    I think MitchD is right on track.

I have both books and while the Internets has been my main source of information I do reference the Zinn book from time to time.

What has worked for me is to get a 3 ring binder and print out various items like Magura bleed procedure, Manitou fork manual, etc and separate the items with plastic sheets.

If you want to get technical-like a tablet (iPad, lower cost Droid) or a small notebook in the garage is pretty handy to watch reference videos.