mtbr member
    Mar 2010

ParkTool Mini Chain Tool (CT-5) -- Driving pin wobbles -- Faulty?

So I got a CT-5 from an online shop. The package was open and the driving pin wobbles. This means it's faulty and I should return it, am I right?

mtbr member
    Probably, being opened is already a bug no-no in my book.
    And my mini chain tool pin is TIGHT, I need pliers to twist it off even after breaking the loctite.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan
    Probably, being opened is already a bug no-no in my book.
    And my mini chain tool pin is TIGHT, I need pliers to twist it off even after breaking the loctite.
    Hm, I also got a cone wrench whose package was open. The glue on both packages seemed to have dried off (they both had a very clean opening). Still, they wrench was ok.

As for the loctite, it seems that it have been broken already (still, I did need to use pliers). Anyway, a wobbly pin won't work right? Am I right?

g3h6o3
    The pin is replacable on the CT5 so maybe your is just threaded out a bit. Tighten it, I cannot see how it could wobble, but maybe it's crooked...

One way or another, chainging the pin is a solution but your sohp should replace it if it's faulty
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Sorry guys, but there has been a misunderstanding. When I say the pin wobbles, I don't mean that it is not firmly attached to the rotator-thingy, however, as it moves forward it doesn't follow a straight line. So it must be attached with an angle... or it may be bent.

g3h6o3
    If it's bent or cross threaded, it'll move around in circles when you thread the tool's handle. Is that what you try to describe?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    If it's bent or cross threaded, it'll move around in circles when you thread the tool's handle. Is that what you try to describe?
    YES
    that's it

g3h6o3
    Remove the pin and check if it's bent... If it's not, screw it back in without cross threading.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Remove the pin and check if it's bent... If it's not, screw it back in without cross threading.
    On closer inspection, not only the pin is bent (even though I'm not completely sure), but it is screwed in with an angle too. Still, I don't think there's room for cross threading; those are some hugs-ass threads.

These, and an open package. Well, am I wrong for being suspicious?

g3h6o3
    How can it be screwed in with an angle without being cross threaded?

Can't you simply disassemble the goddam thing and point to the problem? When I have a suspicion I investigate, not question people on the internet.

human dehumidifier
    Is the thing so wobbly that it won't push a pin out, or is it close enough that it'll work?

Can you look at the end of the pin and see evidence that it's been used before?
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Can't you simply disassemble the goddam thing and point to the problem? When I have a suspicion I investigate, not question people on the internet.
    You pissed, lol. I dunno, I reckon the threads on the handle are faulty to begin with. Having disassembled it, that is my verdict.

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    Is the thing so wobbly that it won't push a pin out, or is it close enough that it'll work?

Can you look at the end of the pin and see evidence that it's been used before?
    Well, it's wobbly enough that it can hypnotize a rivet into leaving the chain. As for your second question, the pin has a light scratch which mildly indicates prior usage.

Anyway, I've just phoned the shop and they were totally cool with it. Send it back and we'll replace it... Or at least that is what I think they told me (British accent).

Plays with tools

If the hole wasn't drilled straight prior to threading.

If you can't figure out what is wrong with your chain tool you probably don't have any business using the thing once it's fixed.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab
    If the hole wasn't drilled straight prior to threading.
    I'd be very surprised seeing this from Park but it's possible.

Plays with tools
    I'd be very surprised seeing this from Park but it's possible.
    I once got a super record braze on FD and the fixing bolt didn't have any wrench flats inside it. It surprised me and the guys at camapgnolo US. Stuff like that happens in manufacturing.