Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

parks truing stand -

For xmas, I got the new park truing stand. And while they, Park, were quick to say we can't tell you how to use it, the directions sucked. So, ofcourse we can go to internet for how to's. My question is, how do you hold the wheel on the stand, in that "V" groove? What are you resting the wheel on, shoulder, the QR? the front wheel, the rear wheel with cog on ? I saw something about skewer adapters. I have looked at a 20 or so videos and not one notates how to put wheel in stand.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    parks truing stand --img_0991-truing-fix.jpg

Plays with tools
    You might be in over your head.

mtbr member

parks truing stand -

Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    ^^^^^^^^

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    LOL, nice shot. Thanks for not giving any answer.

Ahhh the pain....
    You have it right in that pic...think about how the wheel is located in the dropouts....it sits axially against that Knurled face and radially on that small diameter. Just remember that the v-groove is like a dropout on the bike; just a different shape.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by 1362 View Post
    LOL, nice shot. Thanks for not giving any answer.
    As rude as it may seem I really do have your best intentions in mind. Wheel truing isn't a basic skill and requires patience and a certain amount of skill. If you can't figure out how to get the wheel into the stand, it's not out of line for one to think you will struggle to do everything after that step.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    At about 1:46 in, he kinda shows you how to place the wheel. You have to turn the knob on the right side to tighten up the arms against the hub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVjCkvR9uiw

At 2:53, thats the knob you need to turn.
    Last edited by nov0798; 03-30-2014 at 09:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I was hoping your godalmighty would just let it go. Oh well, dream on about skill and patience, there is nothing to it. I was just hoping somebody would take time for any key little tidbits that might be out there. Somebody may have a little tool they made to do something easier between wheels, sizes, fronts and rears either with cog on or off, to make the transitions faster simpler. I have replaced spokes, and trued wheel to a good enough tolerance +/- .005, the first time with the stand. Yes, it was rude, smartass and very assumptive as you intended. No big deal, move on.

As rude as it may seem I really do have your best intentions in mind. Wheel truing isn't a basic skill and requires patience and a certain amount of skill. If you can't figure out how to get the wheel into the stand, it's not out of line for one to think you will struggle to do everything after that step.
    Last edited by 1362; 03-13-2014 at 01:24 PM.

Captain Calico Jack
    [QUOTE=1362;11054825 I have replaced spokes, and trued wheel to a good enough tolerance .002[/QUOTE]

I was wondering if someone knew which way to turn a light bulb to get it to screw into a socket by the way i have an electrical engineering degree and did the complete wiring for every house in north america all by myself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dawg Catcher View Post
    I was wondering if someone knew which way to turn a light bulb to get it to screw into a socket by the way i have an electrical engineering degree and did the complete wiring for every house in north america all by myself.
    Lol, man your so jacked, is that how you got to 32 posts by trying to make fun of people? nobody has an engineering degree and wires homes. I bet that dog catcher job required you to get a pair of glasses to see how many legs she has after you wake up in the morning.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    This thread is full of fun... I'm not sure if the OP is trolling or not? Either way, good stuff.

Sent from my phone via Tapatalk

Captain Calico Jack
    Lol, man your so jacked, is that how you got to 32 posts by trying to make fun of people? nobody has an engineering degree and wires homes. I bet that dog catcher job required you to get a pair of glasses to see how many legs she has after you wake up in the morning.

Just stating its kinda funny that you can master all the hard aspects of wheel truing but when it comes to getting the wheel in the stand its a challenge.

mtbr member
    So what do you want to know, 1362? Nobody was insulting you until you started to act like a d*ck.

Magically Delicious
    Anyone have some popcorn?

JB...are those factory approved shims there I see pictured? I bet those aren't in the provided instructions.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It's a art. I'm with him.
    Can you say Full XO #22.68 salsa moto rapido

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Okay, okay, okay.... my closing point on this thread.
    I am not sure which is more sad,
    1- the fact that some, a few, of you actually think a person can not put the wheel in the stand. Clearly I should have added more detail on what I was looking for, any tricks of trade..shims, and skewer stuff, homemade jigs that might make it perform better. Like most things you get, there is usually some key items that make an item better and was looking for those things. If there are none, there are none. My mistake in not wording it better.
    1-(again) The fact that you truly think somebody can't put the wheel on the truing stand, and claim wheel truing is an art? give me a freaking break! LMAO
    patience, maybe some skill, a little- very basic, Art-nope, unless you're using colored spokes.

Move on, nothing to see here. Square wheels to you *****es out there!
    Out.

Captain Calico Jack
    u mad bro?

mtbr member
    I'm not sure how you claim to true a wheel to the thickness of a human hair, but not know how to put a wheel in a truing stand. Truing isn't an art form, but wheel building is. I can guarantee you that if you built a wheel to that tolerance that your tension is inconsistent. Only the best of the best would build a wheel to tight tolerances and have the spokes tensioned consistently. For those Wheelsmiths out there, that's their businesses, not bike sales. Later alligator, Fahn

Magically Delicious
    My question is, how do you hold the wheel on the stand, in that "V" groove? What are you resting the wheel on, shoulder, the QR? the front wheel, the rear wheel with cog on ? I have looked at a 20 or so videos and not one notates how to put wheel in stand.
    Thanks
    1- the fact that some, a few, of you actually think a person can not put the wheel in the stand.

1-(again) The fact that you truly think somebody can't put the wheel on the truing stand, and claim wheel truing is an art? give me a freaking break! LMAO
    Out.
    Who's confused here?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    That Park Consumer stand in a great little stand for the do-it-yourselfer. The v-grooves that slide in and out have a lot of play, therefore it is essential that you use the wheel skewer to hold it in place resting just as you pictured it, that will keep the wheel in as vertical a position as possible. Another thing I did was use the holes in the base to bolt it to my work bench.
    Kudos to the OP for trying to learn a skill that too many shy away from but is easily learned. I have used my Park stand to build and true many wheel sets.
    Name:  wheels.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  16.8 KB
    parks truing stand --img-20120103-00051.jpg
    Don't be put off by the tensiometer in the second pic, it is helpful for a full build, but not for a serviceable truing.
    You may also notice behind the coffee cup a screwdriver with some masking tape on it. That is a flat bit with a point on it to screw down the spoke nuts when starting. The tape makes it easy to count the # of turns so they are all initially tightened equally.
    Last edited by arphaxhad; 03-12-2014 at 04:10 PM.

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thank you that is exactly the type of stuff I am looking for. Also learned that replace with brass nuts vs alloy.

Quote Originally Posted by arphaxhad View Post
    That Park Consumer stand in a great little stand for the do-it-yourselfer. The v-grooves that slide in and out have a lot of play, therefore it is essential that you use the wheel skewer to hold it in place resting just as you pictured it, that will keep the wheel in as vertical a position as possible. Another thing I did was use the holes in the base to bolt it to my work bench.
    Kudos to the OP for trying to learn a skill that too many shy away from but is easily learned. I have used my Park stand to build and true many wheel sets.
    Name:  wheels.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  16.8 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120103-00051.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	876367
    Don't be put off by the tensiometer in the second pic, it is helpful for a full build, but not for a serviceable truing.
    You may also notice behind the coffee cup a screwdriver with some masking tape on it. That is a flat bit with a point on it to screw down the spoke nuts when starting. The tape makes it easy to count the # of turns so they are all initially tightened equally.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dawg Catcher View Post
    righty tighty lefty lucy

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    I'm not sure how you claim to true a wheel to the thickness of a human hair, but not know how to put a wheel in a truing stand. Truing isn't an art form, but wheel building is. I can guarantee you that if you built a wheel to that tolerance that your tension is inconsistent. Only the best of the best would build a wheel to tight tolerances and have the spokes tensioned consistently. For those Wheelsmiths out there, that's their businesses, not bike sales. Later alligator, Fahn
    Even though I started out with very round dt rims my wheels are neither round nor true. they are however perfectly even tensioned. yeah they could have been rounder and more true, but that doesn't even matter when the tire goes on there.

----------------

btw even the good truing stands from parktool are kinda subpar imo. but I have high standards.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast