Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

New question here. park's cable cutters are junk, any recommendations ?

Hey help me out, I bought a set of park's cable cutters and now after the second time I've used them to restring my bike, they do not cut cleanly, but fold over a couple of strands. The housings cuts even get smertched.

Who makes the best, most longer lasting units ? Any luck w/ Felcros ??

mtbr member
    Sounds like you got a bum set. I've been using mine for years w/o any trouble. Is the pivot bolt tight? If the 2 cutting faces aren't tightly aligned, it will cause this problem. If so, call Park. They should warranty the tool

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Fir
    Hey help me out, I bought a set of park's cable cutters and now after the second time I've used them to restring my bike, they do not cut cleanly, but fold over a couple of strands. The housings cuts even get smertched.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    second that. never had a problem with park cutters in 10 years or more of use. you could certainly try other brands, but i've used a lot of them and they all get the job done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Douglas,
    The cutter should certainly work after two cuts. If the handles are out of adjustment, it will not shear the housing/cable, but fold it over.
    See http://www.parktool.com/repair/readi...ions.asp?id=23
    You may also return it to us.

Calvin Jones
    Park Tool
    651.777.6868 ext. 209

www.thegardenjumps.com
    Oct 2006
    I have always used the shimano cable cutters. That is what we had at the shop I used to work at and what I have in my toolbox. I have heard many people complain about other companies cutters, I think I have used pedros before and they were alright but I would just get the Shimano ones, you will be happy with those.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Werd on the Park cutters. I tried the one set we had in the shop one time and then threw them away and then picked up the Park. No problems at all.

mtbr member
    My Park cutter has been reliable. I had cheapie Supergo brand cutter and the Park one is luxury.

I only use it to cut cable though. For my housing, I find that all cutters tend the kink it too much. So I use a mini (it's tiny) $4 hacksaw from the hardware store to "cut" my housing.
    I'd rather be riding my bike...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by meat tooth paste
    My Park cutter has been reliable. I had cheapie Supergo brand cutter and the Park one is luxury.

I only use it to cut cable though. For my housing, I find that all cutters tend the kink it too much. So I use a mini (it's tiny) $4 hacksaw from the hardware store to "cut" my housing.
    My second favorite tool in the shop was the ice pick used for sticking in the ends of the housing after cutting it with the cable cutters.

mtbr member
    I agree with Jenks. I like the shimano ones for cutting cables, and use the park ones for housing. I don't know if shimano even sells them anymore, but we have a few pairs at the shop with grey/blue handles. I also like them because they seem to fit around seat tubes when you want to get a clean cable cut on a front derailluer where the big park tool one doesn't fit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I would second the Shimano cable cutters. They are great and my 13 year old pair still cut nice and cleanly. I recently bought a pair of the expensive Felco cutters from biketoolsetc.com, and while they do a good job, they can't outshine the shimanos. I also tried the Park cutters when the latest version was released, and they went in the trash pretty quickly.

Sorry Park Tool, you make some really great tools, but your cable cutters aren't among them.

Sublime Absurdity
    Use a dremel tool - works like a charm and unlike a cable cutting only tool, it has a zillion other uses too!
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    Use a dremel tool - works like a charm and unlike a cable cutting only tool, it has a zillion other uses too!

I used my Dremel tool to sharpen the cutting edges on cheap LIFU cable/housing cutters. Made the cutters works so cleanly and quickly, I don't dick around with the Dremel any more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've used Park, Shimano, Wrench Force and others, but the best cutters hands down are the Felcos.
    Get them.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I used the Parks last night for teh first time.

Seemed OK with me, but I dont know sh@t.

Too Much Fun

Good job! You want the Felcos

Felcos are the best. Shimano's are aight. Parks will do in a pinch.
    - -benja- -

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin Jones-Park Tool
    Douglas,
    The cutter should certainly work after two cuts. If the handles are out of adjustment, it will not shear the housing/cable, but fold it over.
    See http://www.parktool.com/repair/readi...ions.asp?id=23
    You may also return it to us.

Calvin Jones
    Park Tool
    651.777.6868 ext. 209
    Get outta here - we have a Park rep here, too?!?!?!? Coooool!

Douglas - not sure if you've found resolve with this, but I will say stay away from the Wrench Force cutters. Cuh-RAP! The cutting edges are soft and will work for the first few cuts (cutting Shimano SS housings), then they'll turn to garbage. HTH!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    another vote for this:

the added bonus of scaring the dog with all the noise and sparky stuff flying around!
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Shimano's work well. But the Felcos are like butter. If you didn't know, now you know . . .riders.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Spend the money on some Felcos, they really are some nice cutters. They make pretty quick work out of spokes also if you need to cut up a wheel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

wow, i've got a pair of them that i've had for 4 years...they still cut as clean as the first day..don't they give you a new one if your not satisfied...talk to them, maybe they can help you out
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

I've got two different sets of Park cable cutters (one with a spring between the handles, one with a sprung pivot), and they work wonderfully--both for 3.5 years so far. If the cut isn't perfect I just lop off a tiny bit more a little bit faster--but that goes for any cutter. I've found that all cutters I've used work better if you snap them fast rather than slowly squeeze them. Starting position and angle on brake housing can also make a difference. I don't think it's hard to pick up little technique things, but it does require a bit of patience if things are not perfect the first time you try it.

Shimano cutters in the shop are old and see a TON of use. One is pretty dull, but the other still gets the job done. Each would probably have lasted the average bike nut fixing bikes in a garage a couple of lifetimes.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Felco's are indeed the best, but please don't use them to cut spokes. Cutting spokes doesn't require a precision cutting tool. Cutting spokes with your Felco (or Shimano or Park) will just make the cutting edge dull faster. Use a pair of diaganol cutters to cut spokes.

mtbr member
    felcos!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I wish I'd known about the Felco before I bought my Park cutters. ...Guess I could'a asked, eh?

I don't have any major complaints about the Park cutters, but it takes some finagling to get them go cut straight. The 'folding over' problem sounds like a QC issue with your pair.

One trick to reduce the amount of smashing of the housing is to cut it with a bit of cable inside to hold it open. With a bit of thought you'll have plenty of cable left when it's time to put everything together. Otherwise...

banned
    Mar 2004
    Resurrection. I like the Shimanos the best. While the Felco may be superior in cutting, they don't have a notch to crimp cable ends. And I'm willing to bet they are as heavy as the Park Tool version. The Shimano are lite, cut quickly and cleanly and crimp cable ends...all in one tool. Make's working around the bike much more efficient.

my 2 cents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast