Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Park TW-5 torque wrench broken..?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bvibert 
#1 ·
Well, I've had this little torque wrench for about 2 weeks. Went to readjust my calipers tonight and it's seems the wrench is FUBAR. Almost like something inside the head has stripped. If I flip the switch to loosen a fastner it seems everything works fine.... only stripped when tryind to tighten. It happened when I had the torque set to 9 newtonmeters so it was not being abused nor did I drop it. Anyone else having this problem? Sent Park an email so hopefully I can get it fixed sooon....

#2 ·
Torque wrench etiquette

Torque wrenchs should never be used for loosening nuts or bolts. They should only be used for applying the required amount of force (torque) to tighten the bolt or nut. After you are done they should always be returned to the lowest torque setting so as to not stretch the springs. Also if dropped they should always be re-calibrated before using again. I know this doesn't resolve your issue but thought I'd pass it on.

:)

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll have to remember to set the wrench to lowest setting after use. Never thought of that. I wasn't using it to loosen fastners either, but in theory it should be able to operate in that direction for reverse thread bolts, no...? Anywho, I think I just got a dud. I'm hoping Park will do me right.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.