Trail Connoisseur

Park Tools PK-65, is it everything I need?

I've been riding and working on my own bikes for about 25 years. There have always been a handful of things I've let the LBS handle, mostly because I didn't want to invest in special tools or deal with the mess. I now have the desire to build my own shop and do all my own maintenance and upgrades. I will mostly be working on full suspension MTBs built in the last decade. I've been looking at getting the PK-65 kit as the basis of my workshop and here are my questions:

Is this is a reasonable starting point or is there another method for building up a workshop that I should be considering?

If this is a good starting point what else do I need to be able to do it all? I already have a stand and torque wrench on my list.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This will just about do it all, and if you have the money and desire, go for it.

However, that's a lot of tools you probably don't need, and as advances are made in biking, you'll probably need more tools. Also have all the proprietary specialty tools from fork/shock manufacturers. It sounds like you probably have a fair amount of tools already, just get what you need when the time comes. Now, if this is something where a significant other will question each and every thing you purchase, sometimes it's better to get it all done at once.

Trail Connoisseur
    Thanks watts, I don't necessarily have to justify anything to my significant other as much as I do have the money in hand at the moment and that may not always be the case.

Would it make sense to go with one of the smaller kits and just add in the bottom bracket, headset, and cassette tools? I do have many of the tools in the basic kits (hex wrenches etc) but I would like to go with something a bit more professional so I'm not messing things up with inferior tools.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Since I don't know what bikes you have or tools you need, I'd be reluctant to suggest specific tools or tool kits. A good quality set of metric hex keys is the single best tool that I can recommend. This is definitely something I'd look at a park tool for, or someplace like Snap-on tools.

Based on my experience, I've been able to do almost everything on my bike with one of the $50 tool kits from pricepoint and a basic home toolkit. The only work I wasn't able to do with this is disassemble the rear freehub, just because I don't have that big of a hex key. I made up some ghetto removal tools to take out a headset, put one back in, and remove/install a fork race. In retrospect, worth it to get the right tools for headset removal or take it to the LBS. The stuff from the $50 kit that I'd rather have really high quality stuff would be the spoke wrench. The chain removal tool and the chain whip were OK, but not as good as a Park tool. Everything else has actually been pretty good to me, so far.