mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Park Tool external bottom bracket tools...

My main uses will be on Dura Ace 7800 road bottom bracket cups, FSA MegaExo mtb cups and Chris King cups (both road & mtb). What's the preference... BBT-9 or BBT-19?

Thanks.

Steve

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    both are better ! depending on what you do. 19 is nicer to bb`s, cause it doesn`t leave ugly looking scars in the nice green king cup. pros have a fitting torque wrench witch needs! to work klock and counterclockwise and up to 40NM ore more, and have to be sensitiv enough to also adjust the carbon stem cap on your roadbike, witch needs 3NM. but for easy-quick handling, bb preloadadjustment and 15mm centerlock 9 is better. buy both and save 1 shipping tax, i would guess... enjoy santa claus! (damn two nice torquewrenchs are so f***ing expensive. how to explain my wife, may be less xmass presents ho hoh ho )

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Mickstar
    My main uses will be on Dura Ace 7800 road bottom bracket cups, FSA MegaExo mtb cups and Chris King cups (both road & mtb). What's the preference... BBT-9 or BBT-19?

Thanks.

Steve
    I prefer the bbt-19 since it can fit a torque wrench - both would be nice, but if you're gonna have one or the other go for the bbt-19. With the CK cups, wrap the cups so the tool doesn't gouge them - electrical tape works.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i like the 19. put it on a ratchet for quickly installing them or a torque wrench

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have both of them. I recently got a Truvativ Howitzer BB and the cups are too deep for the 19 to work so I got the 9. Both of them are nice tools, but I would get the 19 if it works with your cups.

Plays with tools
    the chris king BB tool is what I use. It's light (important for keeping your tool kit airplane legal) and it fits super tight so it is less likely to marr up the anodized cups.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab
    the chris king BB tool is what I use. It's light (important for keeping your tool kit airplane legal) and it fits super tight so it is less likely to marr up the anodized cups.
    Agreed! Way better than all of the Park BB tools I have. After buying my first CK tool, I put the Park tools in my "road trip" tool box. After using the Park tool on the road, I bougth another CK tool for my road trip box. Pricey, but worth using the right tool. Park tools no longer have the quality and fitment they did many years ago.
    May the air be filled with tires!