Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Park Cyclone Chain washer

837 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mechBgon 
#1 ·
I used my new Park Cyclone this evening and had several issues with it. I never seemed to get the chain to flow easily through the scrubber. Each time it bogged down in the brushes and I was not able to get it to rotate through like the directions implied it should. What's up with this? Anybody have suggestions to help me out. Otherwise I think I get better results with a tooth brush. Thanks!

#2 ·
gap_rider said:
I used my new Park Cyclone this evening and had several issues with it. I never seemed to get the chain to flow easily through the scrubber. Each time it bogged down in the brushes and I was not able to get it to rotate through like the directions implied it should. What's up with this? Anybody have suggestions to help me out. Otherwise I think I get better results with a tooth brush. Thanks!
Make sure you're backpedalling the cranks, since that's the direction it's intended to go. If the problem is that the chain hops off your derailleur pulleys, pick a chainring/cog combo that line up with eachother fairly closely (sight from the rear of the bike to check).

If it still fights you, another option is to remove the handle, flip the Cyclone around the other way, and pedal forward with the Cyclone's exit port against your derailleur's pulley cage. I know at least one mechanic who prefers to run it that way regardless.

#3 ·
Tried them all, none of them allow you to use any hydrocarbon solvent because of plastic construction.

You make a mess with all the spillage and water and chains don't mix not to mention you are recycling dirty cleaning solution through the chain as you use those chain washers.

Throw it away and use a squirt bottle with lighter fluid (it evaporates) and use a light oil like Triflow, clean and relube after every ride...takes 10 minutes and all you need is an old towel to wipe off the excess after your done.

The thin oil rinses off easily and the chain looks new ever ride.

#4 ·
mechBgon said:
If it still fights you, another option is to remove the handle, flip the Cyclone around the other way, and pedal forward with the Cyclone's exit port against your derailleur's pulley cage. I know at least one mechanic who prefers to run it that way regardless.
Thanks. I tried a couple of different gear combinations and it kept trying to jump the chain ring each time. I may try it backwards to see how that works. Any longterm consequences from not rinsing the citrus solvent? As others have posted, water and chains seem counterintuitive to me. I basically wipe the excess solvent off with a towel/rag and lube w/ Pedros afterwards. Anything wrong with this procedure? Thanks!

#5 ·
Water is not going to hurt your chain in the least, assuming you keep it cleaned and lubed. I always clean mine then give the bike a couple of bounces on the driveway to shake the water out, then let the bike air dry for a few hours before lubing.

My Park chain cleaner works great and is fast. Make sure you have it assembled correctly. Sometimes it takes a minute to get the chain moving smoothly, don't be afraid to give it a good crank to get started, and make sure you are putting it on the bottom section of chain and back spinning the cranks. If there is a lot of mud or debris on the chain, hose it off first as this can clog the tool.

#6 ·
gap_rider said:
Thanks. I tried a couple of different gear combinations and it kept trying to jump the chain ring each time. I may try it backwards to see how that works. Any longterm consequences from not rinsing the citrus solvent? As others have posted, water and chains seem counterintuitive to me. I basically wipe the excess solvent off with a towel/rag and lube w/ Pedros afterwards. Anything wrong with this procedure? Thanks!
I know water and chains seems counterintuitive, but reality trumps theory, and I think you'd benefit from a rinse cycle. I suggest you clean with citrus degreaser (Finish Line being the best one), then dispose of the citrus degreaser, rinse with a couple Cyclone-fulls of hot sudsy water, dry the chain most of the way with a towel/rag or compressed air, and relubricate afterwards. I do this frequently at work, and it works fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.