mtbr member

Park CNW-2 chainring nut wrench ?

Anybody tried to use one of these tools? I tried it today on the chainring nuts on an XTR crank and it doesn't work. The prongs on the tool are simply too crudely made to fit into the slots on the chairing nuts. The lbs had both a Shimano and a Hozan version of this tool that fit perfectly, and looked to be of higher quality steel. I'm somewhat disappointed in Park to have produced this tool.

It's about showing up.

I'm not a big Park fan

I'm glad they are around and they produce as many tools as they do for us but the design and quality of them is poor in some cases, just adequate in most, and nice in some cases. While they are very accessible and seem to be made to do what we need, they feel like they are from Walmart. At the same most of the flat metal cone wrenches, and pedal wrenches out there are pretty crummy, too. As a comparison my 15 mm open ended Snap-on is a real tool; great fit, great bite, stiff, strong, beautifully finished.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Econoline
    Anybody tried to use one of these tools? I tried it today on the chainring nuts on an XTR crank and it doesn't work. The prongs on the tool are simply too crudely made to fit into the slots on the chairing nuts. The lbs had both a Shimano and a Hozan version of this tool that fit perfectly, and looked to be of higher quality steel. I'm somewhat disappointed in Park to have produced this tool.
    I had the same problem with my XTR cranks- had to file out the damn prongs to get them to fit. The other end works fine for XT cranks though.

mtbr member
    I have the said tool. It works fine with 90% of the crank bolts I tried.

I would recommend the tool

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Can't stand that tool.