mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Park Citrus Chain Cleaner

Is there any difference between this stuff and the any of the generic citrus cleaners you find at home depot of the market?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I would also like to know, I don't feel like buying another bottle of this stuff.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I doubt there is much difference. I've been using the hardware store citrus that comes in a jug in my Park Chain Gang brush thingamajig for years with no problems. I spray the chain with water afterwards before drying and applying lube to get rid of any leftover citrus which I have heard may be corrosive.

mtbr member
    Degreasers do a great job of hiding in your chain, and ruining any lube you apply to it. You really want to use a clean evaporating solvent. Even rubbing alcohol would be better than using a citrus degreaser.

If you absolutely insist on using a degreaser, you need to thoroughly rinse it with water afterwards, then apply enough lube to keep the chain from rusting.

Its much better and easier to skip degreasing.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Degreasers do a great job of hiding in your chain, and ruining any lube you apply to it. You really want to use a clean evaporating solvent. Even rubbing alcohol would be better than using a citrus degreaser.

If you absolutely insist on using a degreaser, you need to thoroughly rinse it with water afterwards, then apply enough lube to keep the chain from rusting.

Its much better and easier to skip degreasing.
    ya,, if I go the full out degrease of a chain I soak it in alcohol in a coffee can after the degreaser and shake.. this will get the cleaner out 99%
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If the citrus degreaser is bad for the chain why does park tool include it with there chain cleaning machine?

Would you recommend I run the machine with the degreaser and then run a cycle with water then add the lube?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rick1987 View Post
    If the citrus degreaser is bad for the chain why does park tool include it with there chain cleaning machine?

Would you recommend I run the machine with the degreaser and then run a cycle with water then add the lube?
    There are various thoughts in chain maintenance. Some think it is best to really clean your chain with a degreaser or solvent before re lubing. Others think it best to just wipe the outside of the chain with a rag, add more lube, rotate chain, allow to dry then re wipe the chain and ride.

Some citrus based solvents can dissolve some plastics.

If you degrease the chain. Then yes rinse the chain with water. I would give it a denatured alcohol wash as well to ensure the chain is dry and free from solvents.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    must remove all degreaser from chain. i rinse in HOT water. then blow dry with a aircompressor. never liked park's chain cleaning tool. makes a mess, doesn't work very good. you could try white ligtning clean streak. degreases really good and evaporates. good for disc's too.

mtbr member

Because people buy it. Its profitable. If you go to an autoparts store, half the chemical shelf is stocked with items that are useless, or some frankly damaging to cars. It sells though! We've got similar products in the bike industry.

You need to completely remove the chain and heavily rinse it in a sink or something after using a degreaser..

Heres a picture of my my road chain (it was closer than my mtb, but its in similar shape) after being used as a commuter and daily bike in Portland all winter (dirt and slush everywhere), with the occasional dirt trail. It has never been degreased or cleaned beyond a wipe down and lube flush. After doing a chain that I regularly cleaned, degreased with solvent, dried and fully lubed frequently, and then doing a chain that I did nothing but lube and wipe, I found I get nearly the exact same life out of chains no matter what I do.

Last edited by One Pivot; 04-24-2012 at 09:44 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    my chain cleaning method: Kerosene plus two sealing mason jars. I put the chain in an empty mason jar, pour the kerosene over the dirty chain, seal the lid and shake for 20 seconds. Repeat if necessary. Use your air comp to blow the chain dry. Then pour the dirty kerosene back into the other mason jar and by the time you are ready to clean the chain again all the dirty solid particles will have settled to the bottom of the mason jar--leaving clean kerosene on the top to reuse.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    That should work fine. I just spray the chain thoroughly with a bottle of water while slowly turning the crank. Sometimes I skip the Park tool machine and just spray on the degreaser, wipe and then spray with water and wipe again before applying lube. I don't get rust on my chains so I think you'll be ok. I think the ideal method, having done them all over the years, is the solvent bath but like someone already said it's up for debate whether it extends chain life and for some people who don't like dealing with solvents it's not ideal.

mtbr member
    Good old dish soaps works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chris*tx View Post
    my chain cleaning method: Kerosene plus two sealing mason jars. I put the chain in an empty mason jar, pour the kerosene over the dirty chain, seal the lid and shake for 20 seconds. Repeat if necessary. Use your air comp to blow the chain dry. Then pour the dirty kerosene back into the other mason jar and by the time you are ready to clean the chain again all the dirty solid particles will have settled to the bottom of the mason jar--leaving clean kerosene on the top to reuse.
    If you use Kerosene which is petroleum based, are you also using a petroleum based chain oil? Or, are you using a wax? Other? I guess I would be concerned about the remnants of the kerosene causing problems with the lube. Just a thought?