mtbr member

Painting a Park stand?

I keep my bikes and "shop" in my entryway/foyer, and have managed to not completely wreck the living room's "decor" as it were, but the obnoxious blue of my Park stand has got to go!

Has anyone ever painted their PCS-10 with good results? ie no blue peeking through, chip resistant etc Of course I'd mask carefully, alcohol wipe, remove removeable plastic bits etc. Spray paint brand/type suggested? It looks like the stand may be powder coated blue? Is that necessarily a problem?? Maybe it is just an enamel.
    Last edited by Noclutch; 01-31-2013 at 03:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    'Chip resistant' and 'paint' are two words that don't really go together, not in the DIY arena, anyhow. There are a couple of products that do work (spray on truck bed liners come to mind) but the only real way to make it solid is to powder coat. Getting it done professionally (I'm assuming that you don't have access to a large curing oven) would cost as much if not more than the stand did, but that may be worth it to you.

The stand is, likely, already powder coated in blue, as it stands up to shop abuse better than paint. The difference is hard to tell, sometimes, but the stands that I have seen powder coated have a textured surface. In order to get good adhesion for paint, you don't have to remove the powder coat (in fact, this is very difficult to do without harsh chemicals, media blaster, or power tool) but you do need to rough it up.

banned
    Aug 2012
    The auto parts stores around me, sell a brush or spray on bed liner that is extremely tough once cured ... And it is available in a few basic colors and grit levels (roughness) ... But you'd probably have to special order what's not on the shelf.

The only negative is that it's not cheap - Herculiner/Brush on truck bed coating (HCL1B7) | Truck Bed Coating | AutoZone.com

Plays with tools
    You might be surprised how cheap a local place could powder coat it. Or you could get one of those indoor storage racks.

mtbr member
    Another vote for seeing what a local powder coater can do. If you bring him the tubes that you need coated, he can media blast it and go from there. I can't imagine my powder coater charging me more than $50 to do a few tubes. I'm actually considering getting my floor-mount stand powder coated. It's a bit heavier, but it's less pieces. If I get a quote from him I'll post it up here.

mtbr member
    The most durable paint I've found are the brush on Rustoleum cans. I use satin black for my Jeep bumpers and such. Prep good though, sand and use a good primer.