mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Painting over white lettering

Maybe a good title, maybe not.

I have a 2017 Salsa Warbird - Carbon, matte black with a bright orange accent. I added orange cages, orange iSSi pedals and will be adding orange bar tape.

I changed the wheels to DT Spline 23 and was going to rip off the stickers...but they are paint. The bright white DT Swiss certainly looks out of place. It would be pretty cool if it were orange instead.

The wheels are anodized black aluminum and the white is glossy.

So far I've thought about a regular Sharpie, oil based paint Sharpie, automotive paint marker, some kind of model paint etc.

Any body try this? Tips for what would work, and what won't. I do have a black seatpost with white lettering that I can test on, but would rather not buy a million things to try.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Three days ago. Wow, I may have to criticize myself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Looking at it though - and realizing that Sharpie markers are alcohol based - I may have a better result using a Sharpie.

mtbr member
    You can get paint markers. You may want to mask around the edges of the lettering to make it like a stencil so you do get sloppy overflow beyond the edges of the letters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    You can get paint markers. You may want to mask around the edges of the lettering to make it like a stencil so you do get sloppy overflow beyond the edges of the letters.
    Any idea of what kind that won't chip off. I thought about those but am concerned about durability.

mtbr member
    I would leave them alone. When you take colour matching too far it always looks stupid. Like the guy cares more about posing than riding.

Go ride your bike until you're so beat and the bike's so scuffed you don't care what colour the stickers are.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I would leave them alone. When you take colour matching too far it always looks stupid. Like the guy cares more about posing than riding.

Go ride your bike until you're so beat and the bike's so scuffed you don't care what colour the stickers are.
    Definitely leaning this way...not because I'm not a poser, but because I think it'll not match, go out side the lines, chip off and in general look like crud.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turk0017 View Post
    Definitely leaning this way...not because I'm not a poser, but because I think it'll not match, go out side the lines, chip off and in general look like crud.
    Probably.

L1MEY
    Sharpies never work well unless you're only doing a small area because you end up with pen stroke marks on large parts and it makes it look inconsistent. Some custom stickers might work better.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    - Jen.