mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. Orbea Occam, a little headset help please...!?

So I'm getting a Occam next week and I will like to have the parts ready when she arrives..

The problem is that I want to run my old Maverick DUC32 fork on it and requires a 1 1/8" bottom race.

Basically I need a 1 1/8" top 1.5 bottom integrated headset with a 1 1/8" bottom race.
    Orbea Occam, a little headset help please...!?-occam-hydro-2013-brown-full-suspension-mtb-orbea-l-2-l.jpg

Thanks for the help as always

mtbr member
    That is a semi-integrated headset with the cups already pressed in. FSA I believe. Go to the FSA site and look for a reducer or buy a new headset with 44 upper, 56 lower cups with a reducer to run your 1 1/8 steer tube.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    That is a semi-integrated headset with the cups already pressed in. FSA I believe. Go to the FSA site and look for a reducer or buy a new headset with 44 upper, 56 lower cups with a reducer to run your 1 1/8 steer tube.
    Thank you very much, I'm way to old school for all this different size parts..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Man I check the whole site and I can not even find the 44/56 combo much less the 1 1/8" fork lower race..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I got the frame today and measuring the headest the top cup is 42mm and the bottom 52mm the two of them with a 45deggre angle at the "bottom"

I still need to do a search on the FSA site but maybe you guy can help with other options..

Update I check the whole FSA site and I did not find the proper headset, I'm sure I;m missing something, it can not be this hard..

mtbr member
    I was giving you the measurements of the headtube without the cups pressed in. Does your frame look like the one pictured, or is the inside of the head tube raw aluminum with no black cups pressed in? If you already have the cups pressed into the frame and it is FSA you may have difficulty finding the correct application. If you get a whole new headset altogether, which I thought you were doing, it will be easy to find a 44/56 with reducer for that application. At least I think it should be easy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I was giving you the measurements of the headtube without the cups pressed in. Does your frame look like the one pictured, or is the inside of the head tube raw aluminum with no black cups pressed in? If you already have the cups pressed into the frame and it is FSA you may have difficulty finding the correct application. If you get a whole new headset altogether, which I thought you were doing, it will be easy to find a 44/56 with reducer for that application. At least I think it should be easy.
    The headset bearing run directly on the frame with no cups to press in, so the 42/52 measurements are of the ID of the headtube..

Thanks for the follow up, I'm so confused...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I think I found one Here but is in England..

Also send emails to FSA and Orbea asking them for advice..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I found a FSA Orbit C-40 No.42 but I can not tell if 36deggres is the angle I need.

Actually I think I found the one with the "Campy" angles..
    Orbit CF 40 campy

mtbr member
    Oh sorry man. Yours is integrated, not semi-integrated like the photo. I thought that photo was your frame. If it was semi integrated it would have just been a matter of replacing the lower cup with a reducing cup/bearing. I have no experience with reducing integrated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Oh sorry man. Yours is integrated, not semi-integrated like the photo. I thought that photo was your frame. If it was semi integrated it would have just been a matter of replacing the lower cup with a reducing cup/bearing. I have no experience with reducing integrated.
    Yes that was a picture of my frame, well a generic picture from the web, but you are right the picture is wrong or at least different than mine.

Here are mine..

Orbea Occam, a little headset help please...!?-img_5332-m.jpg

Bottom
    Orbea Occam, a little headset help please...!?-img_5333-m.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Oh man the Orbea tech guru will be out of the office the rest of the week, I just hope he respond to my email, the headset is the only part missing to get this bike rolling..

mtbr member
    So you should be able to use a Cane Creek 40 or 110 you need to get the pieces seperatly though, IS-42 top and the IS-52 conversion bottom.

Hope that helps
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The Occam spend all day at the local Orbea dealer, result nothing, I think my requirement for the 1 1/8" bottom race made things really complicated, actually they did not have a Occam headset just a bunch of bearings so I still have hope..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jrastories View Post
    So you should be able to use a Cane Creek 40 or 110 you need to get the pieces seperatly though, IS-42 top and the IS-52 conversion bottom.

Hope that helps
    I build mine up, but I can not find the way to get one order, very simple procedure until that point..

Complete Headset S.H.I.S.
    Upper Headset Fit
    IS 42 / 28.6

Upper Headset Type Upper Head-tube Type Stem Clamp Diameter

Lower Headset Fit
    IS 52 / 30

Lower Headset Type Lower Head-tube Type Crown Race Seat Diameter Bearing Seat Angle

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Will this work for The TOP and this for the Bottom..??

I so ready to finish this bike, the headset is the only part missing..

mtbr member
    Yes those should work from what I looked at earlier today.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jrastories View Post
    Yes those should work from what I looked at earlier today.
    Thanks senor, I just order them, shame they are not Prime since they are going to take a week to get here..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The lower portion of the headset show up today and I'm happy to say it fits great, nice quality part this 110series headset (for a chris king whore)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for all the help..

The upper part of the headset came today so I took a little test ride (trails to muddy/snowy to ride), it fits perfectly..
    Orbea Occam, a little headset help please...!?-img_5376-l.jpg