Thread: Oozy goo Time

mtbr member

Oozy goo Time

I'm going ooze shopping (lube/grease etc.)

Need the works, goo for building from frame up. Do I need more than grease and anti-seize? Feel free to throw some brand names at me.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    One of my FAV questions! (My opinion)= Ask 5 riders what is the "best" or their "FAV" grease, (goes for tires, brake pads, chain oil, etc); and you'll probably get 8 different answers based on their experiences.
    I've used a number of greases, and have found that bearing seem to spin better when I use Pro-Gold EPX. (been using it for about 12 years now, I like it; hey it's MY bikes right?). LOL The short version is "some is better than none"; meaning put grease where its needed, period.
    One can use grease instead of anti-seize, I like using anti-seize on external BB cups and cassette lock nuts, and pedals. If the frame is Carbon you might want some "fiber grip" for carbon on carbon joints. After your done the the wheels off it! Enjoy!.

Too bad you live so far or I'd say bring it over and I'll be glad to help you.
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

mtbr member
    Yeah anything is better than none

It's pretty sandy around here and bikes end up on the beach very often (I'm pretty good bout washing em down) I should have mentioned I was after something a little more sand/sea water specific.

mtbr member
    I use Lucas Red "N" Tacky now. I've actually been experimenting lately with different greases and Ive settled on Lucas, its awesome!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oozy goo Time-lucas_grease.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You should use anti-seize in most locations. Aside from that, almost any high quality grease will do. I'd also recommend picking up some teflon tape for the bottom bracket threads.

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    You should use anti-seize in most locations. Aside from that, almost any high quality grease will do. I'd also recommend picking up some teflon tape for the bottom bracket threads.
    I agree teflon tape or anti-seize are good for the BB cups. For teflon tape I like to get the thin 1/4" wide as opposed to the more common 1/2" wide. It is a lot easier to use on BB cups threads.

For grease, I've been using Phil Wood's, Pedro's Synthetic and HoneySlick for a long while with no complaints. I'm willing to try others, but grease is not something you blow through quickly so I haven't tried to many others yet. My Pedro's is almost gone, I will be trying something new soon.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I know it's overkill, but I first wrap my BB threads with teflon tape, and then I apply anti-seize. On the upside, I've never had a creaking or seized bottom bracket.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    I know it's overkill, but I first wrap my BB threads with teflon tape, and then I apply anti-seize. On the upside, I've never had a creaking or seized bottom bracket.
    It's a little extra work that goes a long way. Definitely worth it.

I use different greases for different applications.

Suspension and other areas where a low-viscosity grease is needed - Slick Honey
    All-purpose assembly grease - Park Tool or Pedro's Synthetic
    Bearing Grease - Phil Wood or marine grease

I've good luck not using anti-seize on really any part of my bikes, but YMMV. I inspect, disassemble, and reassemble stuff more often than the average person too, which may help.