mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Newbie - Questions about degreasers/lubes/grease/etc.

Hello all, new to this site and new to the MTB world. Grew up racing BMX and then into MX.....now ready to spend some time on an mtb bike :-). I have/ride a 2009 GT Team Marathon. I plan to completely dis-assemble it this winter and give it the complete makeover (maintenance wise). My question is, what does everyone prefer as far as degreasers, lubes, chain lubes, grease, etc.? There are a TON of options I am finding but I'm just not familiar with what is the best. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Also, any advice/tips on cleaning/maintaining an MTB bike would be appreciated as well (have watched tons of YouTube videos as a starting point). Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    not an expert but read that Mineral Spirit is a good degreaser and is what i used to degrease my chain.. i use Squirt for my chain lubing needs.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

Hi.
    Degreasers: Simple Green or industrial citrus degreasers for general cleaning. Isopropyl alcohol or paint thinner for deep cleaning (like chain soaks.)

Cable and pivot lube: Use something with teflon. I like Finish Line Dry.

Chain lube: Hard to beat Dumonde Tech, but you need to apply it correctly (follow the instructions). Rock and Roll Extreme or Gold also work really well and are easy to use. A lot of people have good luck with chainsaw bar oil or auto oil mixes, but they get sticky and attract dirt if you don't wipe the chain down completely.

Cleaning Advice: Don't use a pressure washer and don't spray water into anywhere there's bearings. That means headset, bottom bracket, wheels, etc. I use a large soft-bristle brush (like a tire brush), water, degreaser and then soap made for washing cars. Wet the bike (gently,) spray on degreaser then scrub everything down with the car soap in a bucket. The soap contains waxing agents with help protect the frame.

Make sure everything is really, really dry before you put the bike away. Lube it immediately after washing to prevent corrosion. I use a combination of air drying (with a compressor) and riding the bike around the neighborhood to dry it off.

Plays with tools
    Dumonde makes a great range of products, from solvents, greases and chain lube. Hard to go wrong there. Only thing I stay away from are lubes that settle. Chains need oil, not a bunch of additives that have a hard time getting into the rollers where the lubrication is needed.

Finish Line solvent is really great stuff, their ceramic dry lube is pretty solid as well.

I actually have good results in the summertime from wax-based dry lubes. Currently using White Lightning Clean Ride. I don't like wet lubes during the dry, dusty times of year because they attract grime quite a bit. In the winter and during times of year that the creek crossings are flowing (and splashing on the bike when I ride through), I do tend to use a wet lube so the lube stays on the bike better. Haven't bought a new wet lube for awhile, so I'll probably be getting something new this year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks everyone for the replies so far, greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    For cleaning your bike, simple green (hardward store variety) works great! (There is also a bike specific foaming degreaser) For cleaning your chain, cassette, gears, I would recommend a cycling specific degreaser more suited for the job. The Finish Line Citrus is a great place to start. There are some bio-degradable degreasers if you are into that sort of thing. My buddy says it works just as good as the regular stuff.

For grease, depends on what the application is. High speed, water resistant, thick, thin etc.

My favorite chain lube is Rock n Roll Gold. It cleans (degreases) and lubricates at the same time. The only thing is it does not last too long. I reapply every 3-4 rides. But my chain is always clean because of it.

Dont use a pressure washer to clean your bike, it will wash the grease out of where it needs to be. Light soap and water with a softer brush will be fine.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post

Finish Line solvent is really great stuff, their ceramic dry lube is pretty solid as well.
    Their Speed Degreaser (Yellow Can) is amazing stuff if you don't have access to water and soap. Haven't tried the Citrus or regular products. I use the Ceramic Dry Lube on the road bike but it (and Dumonde) can get expensive.

Brake cleaner works wonders on greasy metal parts but has a tendency to eat anything made of rubber or plastic.